You will study three core modules:
Introduction to Corpus Linguistics
This module introduces you to the concepts and techniques involved in current qualitative corpus research, including corpus investigation software and the presentation and interpretation of corpus data, especially concordances and collocation. There is an emphasis on the relationships between corpus data and theories of language. You will be expected to carry out a small-scale corpus-based project of your own design, using monolingual or bilingual corpora.
Research Methods in Corpus Linguistics
This usually includes statistics, use and design of programs, corpus collection and research project design. The module content is flexible to cater for the needs and interests of individual students.
Advances in Corpus Linguistics
This module places corpus linguistics in the wider context of discourse studies, contrastive linguistics, social (particularly media) studies, CDA and language philosophy. It aims to contribute towards helping you to appreciate the contribution corpus linguistics makes to linguistics in general.
You will also choose three optional modules that can focus on a chosen area of application, from a range which includes:
In the autumn term -
- Describing Language
- Discourse, Culture and Communication
- Language and Literature: Key Topics in Stylistics
- Second Language Learning and Teaching
- Social and Multimodal Aspects of Communication OR Social and Psychological Aspects of Language
- Syllabus and Materials Design
In the spring term -
- Business English
- Cognitive Approaches to Discourse Analysis
- Cognitive Linguistics and Language Learning
- Computer Assisted Language Learning
- Corpus Linguistics
- English as an International Language
- Issues and Approaches in English for Academic Purposes
- Intercultural Communication
- Language and Gesture
- Language and New Media
- Language and Politics
- Language, Style and Identity
- Language Teaching Observation and Practice
- Narrative Analysis in Film and Fiction
- Teacher Training
Please note that availability of optional modules may vary from year to year.