This course consists of 180 credits.
- Numerical Methods II – 10 credits
- Mathematical Biology I – 10 credits
- Mathematical Biology II – 10 credits
- Modelling with Partial Differential Equations – 10 credits
- Research Frontiers in Applied Mathematics – 20 credits
- Research Skills in Mathematical Modelling – 60 credits
Optional modules will be from the following courses (subject to availability):
- Exotic Options, Bonds and Further Quantitive Finance
- Introduction to Quantitive Finance
- Bioscience for Graduates from Other Scientific Disciplines
- Computational Tools for Modelling and Analysis
- Intelligent Data Analysis (Extended)
- Applied Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
- Perturbation Theory and Asymptotics
- Advanced Quantitive Finance: Crashes, Volatility, Multiple Assets and Hedging
- Continuum Mechanics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Game Theory
- Methods in Partial Differential Equations
- Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications
- Topics in Applied Mathematics
These courses are assessed by a mixture of written examinations (usually 75-80%, taking place in May/June) and coursework, typically involving homework, computer or wet laboratory practicals or in-class assessment. Pleaase note that not all optional modules may be available.
The summer research skills project involves working closely with supervisors from both Mathematics/Computer Science and another discipline such as biosciences, chemical engineering or medicine on a modelling project. You will produce a substantial dissertation, and will present your work in an oral presentation. Additional assessment will require participation in problem-solving workshops and peer group learning in order to prepare you for ‘real life’ work as a research scientist.
Please note: The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to keep them up-to-date, which may require changes to module content. Also, key members of staff may leave the University and this necessitates a review of the modules that are offered. Where the module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.