The HBRC facilitates sample collection in line with local and national research strategies. The facility also carries out bespoke tissue collections in areas where there is a specific research need.
The HBRC is approved to collect samples from most NHS Trusts in the West Midlands.
Currently the facility collects and supplies fresh tissue, fresh-frozen tissue, formalin-fixed tissue and paraffin-embedded sections, blood/blood derivatives, urine and other bodily fluids.
These materials are derived from patients in a wide variety of disease settings and may comprise tissue which is:
- surplus to diagnosis taken at the time of surgery or treatment
- waste material
- additional samples taken for research purposes
- material taken from patients taking part in clinical trials
- control material (including healthy volunteers)
- material from deceased donations.
Sections from archived diagnostic fixed tissue blocks are also accessible through the HBRC.
The HBRC will set up sample collections where there is a research need with no upfront costs. The samples will be stored until they are required for a specific research project.
The HBRC can provide clinical datasets associated with samples.