We offer users a 45 sqm wet-lab stocked with the consumables and equipment needed for NMR sample preparation; access to other biophysical tools can also be arranged.
Equipment available in the NMR laboratory
- centrifuges for NMR sample tubes and eppendorf tubes
- chemical fume hood
- dryer for tubes
- freezers (-20º and -80ºC)
- pH meter for NMR sample tubes
- tube cleaner
Consumables including 5 mm NMR tubes, deuterated buffers, DMSO and D2O are available at cost from Sim Sihota (NMR Lab Manager).
The Birmingham Biophysical Characterisation Facility offers additional facilities for biophysical analysis of proteins including:
- Atomic Force Microscopy
- Circular Dichroism
- FT-ICR mass spectrometry
- Infrared Spectroscopy
- Surface Plasmon Resonance
- X-ray crystallography
We are members of the Technology Hub which also provides a range of facilities.
The Protein Expression facility in the College of Medical & Dental Sciences offers:
- Fermentation (E coli, Pichia) in three refrigerated incubator shakers and two fermentors
- Protein purification systems: two AKTA Prime and two AKTA Purifier chromatography systems
- Cell lysis by French Press, Emulsiflex and sonicator
- UV-VIS spectrophotometer
- Thermofluor 96 well plate screening for NMR conditions and ligands
The floor plan of the NMR building shows the position of the laboratory