You will study the following core modules:
Advanced Studies in Electroacoustic Composition 1 and 2
These two half-modules present selected topics in advanced electroacoustic composition, including, but not limited to:
- Advanced recording techniques (studio and field) using conventional and ambisonic techniques
- Approaches to multichannel spatialisation
- Diffusion techniques and the MiniBEAST and BEAST sound systems
- Topics in programming for electroacoustics and digital signal processingl
- Live electroacoustic performance
- Advanced or non-standard synthesis techniques
- Mixed instrumental and electroacoustic composition.
Assessment: A combination of written and practical tasks
Composition Tutorials 1 and 2
Across these two modules you will receive regular one-to-one tutorial teaching, enabling you to develop your compositional technique and a self-reflexive critique of your own work. You will be taught composition techniques appropriate to your individual needs. You will also be encouraged to broaden your range of compositional practice, and move toward the development of a personal ‘voice’.
Assessment: A series of compositions
You will also choose three optional modules from a range which typically includes:
- Advanced Studies in Instrumental/Vocal Composition
- Advanced Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Music
- Arts Management in Practice
- British Music Studies 1850-1975
- Contemporary Music Studies
- Fieldwork Methods
- Introduction to Global Popular Musics
- Laptop Ensemble
For more information, see our Music module descriptions.
In addition to your taught modules, you will produce a portfolio consisting of one or more compositions amounting to approximately 13-23 minutes duration in total (length to be agreed with your supervisor), and an accompanying written commentary of approximately 3-5,000 words.
Please note that the optional module information listed on the website for this programme is intended to be indicative, and the availability of optional modules may vary from year to year. Where a module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you to make other choices.