Reimagining Health Law
- Birmingham Law School
- Tuesday 11 September 2018 (09:30-17:30)
Health law is a comparatively young legal discipline. It has emerged from a backdrop of 'Medical' and 'Health Care'. But what exactly is 'Health Law' itself? What do we mean when we write about or teach Health Law?
Health law is a comparatively young legal discipline. It has emerged from a backdrop of “Medical” and “Health Care “. But what exactly is “Health Law” itself? What do we mean when we write about or Health Law? The aim of this one day Workshop is to explore health law from a range of perspectives: doctrinal/historical/critical. We will consider the disciplinary interface within and outside law, i.e. health law’s connection to other legal fields, its relationship with bioethics, humanities, and social sciences, and their impact on the health law methodology. In particular the speakers will address a number of pressing questions that have influenced the field in the past and will shape it in future.
- To what extent is the fact that an academic scholar began as a public lawyer which led to them working in health law impacts on the way in which the discipline itself is framed?
- Is there a unique health law method and if so, to what extent have the developments in other fields and disciplines contributed to the emergence of that method?
- Are we witnessing any important paradigm shift in the field at the moment?
It will be a day in which people are encouraged to explore ideas, synergies and question assumptions about what health law- was- is and where it is going.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Richard Ashcroft, Queen Mary London;
- Professor Margaret Brazier, University of Manchester; Professor Emma Cave, University of Durham;
- Professor Sylvie Delacroix University of Birmingham;
- Professor Marie Fox, University of Liverpool;
- Professor Phil Fennell, University of Cardiff;
- Professor Jonathan Montgomery, UCL;
- Dr Judy Laing, University of Bristol; Professor Jean McHale, University of Birmingham;
- Professor Jose Miola, University of Leicester;
- Professor Nicky Prialux, University of Cardiff;
- Professor Keith Syrett, University of Bristol.
Download the Reimagining Health Law Programme