Birmingham Law School invites applications to our Visiting Scholars and Visiting Research Students schemes.
For almost a century Birmingham Law School has led the way in legal education and research. We are a truly global, civic and diverse community reflected through our staff and students who have important impacts around the world through research, teaching and enterprise
The Visiting Scholar scheme is open to academics at other institutions wishing to undertake research within the School and take part in the academic life of the University of Birmingham. Similarly, the Visiting Research Student scheme is open to current post-graduate research students looking to do the same.
In order to be considered, you will need to seek the agreement of a member of Law School academic staff to act as your academic host for the duration of your visit. We ask that you only contact one member of staff at a time. To increase the chances of securing a host, you should write to an academic that shares a similar research specialism.
(Please note, Professor Lisa Webley, the current Head of School, is happy to consider requests, but only in her research area of legal education and the legal professions.)
If you require general information about the Visiting Scholar or Visiting Research Student scheme, please email us.
Terms and conditions
- Individuals are considered for inclusion in the scheme on a case by case basis on their academic merits..
- Applications and all general queries should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are determined by the Law School Research Committee.
- Factors which will be considered in determining the application will include the reasons for the application and the strength of the applicant's academic profile.
- The application must demonstrate how the individual would contribute to the life of the School during their visit e.g. through giving lectures/staff seminar/participating in research projects.
- In addition to making a prima facie case, applicants must have secured the agreement of a member of the Law School staff to act as academic host for their visit.
- Visitors will be able to work in the Visiting Lecturers room. In addition they will have Library access and an e-mail address can be arranged for them. However, no funding attaches to these positions.
- Following a 6-month grace period where no tuition fees are incurred, Visiting Research Students will be charged 1-month tuition fee for each additional month.
- Unlike other Schools in the College, the Law School does not charge a Bench Fee to Visiting Research Students.
- The title of Visiting Scholar/Visiting Research Student will apply for the fixed duration of their association with the Law School to be determined on a case by case basis in relation to each application.
- Applicants must ensure that they satisfy any visa/immigration requirements.