- Elgar Concert Hall - Bramall Building
- Sunday 18 February 2024 (15:00-16:15)
Between them, Purcell and Blow are the big names of the English baroque. Purcell’s Come ye sons of arts was written for Queen Mary II’s birthday with lilting, noble themes, and The Fairie-Queene bursts with refined and joyous music – full of references to the monarchs of the time, even including a reference to the Queen’s famous collection of china. John Blow’s anthems show a different side to the English baroque encapsulating the refined grandeur of the period.
- Purcell Come ye sons of arts
- Blow O sing unto the Lord a new song: sing unto the Lord
- Blow Thy Mercy, O Lord
- Purcell Orchestral Excerpts from The Fairie Queen