Cognitive Behaviour Therapy High Intensity Postgraduate Diploma FAQs

Here you can find the answers to some frequently asked questions about the CBT course.

Where can I find details about this course?

Most of the information you will need can be found on the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy High Intensity Postgraduate Diploma course page.

Is the clinical placement provided by the University?

No, applicants need to find posts as trainee CBT therapists in NHS Talking Therapies or NHS Talking Therapies-commissioned services within the West Midlands area. These posts are often advertised on the NHS jobs website. They should apply to the placement (for the post) and the University (for the course) separately. The only exception to this is for placements who like to conduct their recruitment jointly with the University. In either case, speak to the placement providers and they will tell you their application requirements AND apply to the University anyway.

After this course would I be a qualified CBT practitioner?

Yes, the course gives you everything that you need to become a British Association of Cognitive and Behavioural Psychotherapies (BABCP) accredited psychotherapist.

Does this course provide any other career routes, such as becoming a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner?

No, PWP training is a separate course entirely: See the BSMHFT website

Can I use my current job for the placement part of the course?

Applicants will need a placement in an NHS Talking Therapies or NHS Talking Therapies-commissioned service in order to be eligible for the Health Education England funding. Their current workplace would not be a viable alternative if it is not an NHS Talking Therapies or NHS Talking Therapies-commissioned service.

Am I eligible?

Applicants either need to have a core profession, or, need to be able to meet the Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes (KSA) criteria in order to be eligible. If they are not a qualified professional, the best thing to do is to look at the KSA eligibility criteria here and do a self-assessment. We welcome applications from people who can satisfy all of the KSA criteria.

Can I apply for this course if I've previously failed or withdrawn from the same course?

Health Education England commissioners do not support and will not fund repetition of training if an applicant has completed the training and failed (at the same or another University), or has been removed from the training because of academic or other misconduct. Applicants who have previously withdrawn from a High Intensity CBT course (at the same or another University) will only be supported by HEE funding if the University is satisfied by an academic reference from the original University, indicating that there are clear extenuating circumstances which would suggest that a repetition of training would be good use of public money.

Can I do the course online?

No. This course is in-person only.

Can I transfer credits from another course I did previously that included a module on CBT?

No. Unfortunately, due to the nature of this course, all the modules are required to be taken, and credit transfer is not an available option. You would of course be welcome to apply for the programme, provide you meet the eligibility criteria.

My referee wants to be contacted rather than provide me with a reference to submit. Is that possible?

There should be an option for applicants to enter referees’ email addresses, rather than uploading a document – they will then be contacted automatically once an application is submitted.

Does the University have any specific self-directed study recommendations regarding meeting the KSA criteria?

We don't have any specific book recommendations for the KSA criteria. Most applicants satisfy them through training courses and occupational experience rather than self-directed study. 

Do I need to submit a KSA portfolio to the BABCP for approval prior to applying for the course, or does it form part of my application? If the former, how long does that process typically take?

The KSA portfolio does not need to be submitted to BABCP prior to training. It is something that we require successful applicants to submit in the first few weeks of the course.

When do training opportunities for the three days of supervised practice required by applicants typically become available, and where are these advertised?

They are usually advertised on the NHS jobs website from about Spring onwards.

Can I write to various local placement providers to request doing a placement with them?

Applicants could do this, and it can be a useful proactive step to form a relationship with local NHS Talking Therapies service providers. They will be able to give more precise information about their vacancies and dates for job adverts.

I received my PWP certificate in January 2023. Would HEE consider me for funding for the October 2024 intake, or does it need to be exactly 2 years?

Health Education England (HEE) commissioners consider progression from PWP to HIT training an integrated training pathway within which PWPs are eligible to apply for HI training when they have completed a minimum of two years of employment as a PWP after passing all PWP course requirements at internal exam board. HEE will not fund trainees who do not meet this requirement.

The only exception to this two-year rule is if a PWP holds a previous core professional qualification recognised by the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)