A dedicated platform for all our technical staff, to deliver the skills and career development essential to supporting the Birmingham Technician both today and in the future.
Aims and objectives
- Supporting the skills, professional and career development of all technical staff
- To recognise and value the contribution that the technical staff make to the achievements of the University
- Ensure that UoB fulfils its obligations as a signatory to the Science Council’s ‘Technician Commitment’
- Ensuring that the technical workforce has the skills, capacity and behaviours required to meet the challenges of teaching and research in a leading global university
The Technical Academy/Birmingham Technician is part of the Birmingham Professional, which affirms our commitment to, and our expectations of, Professional Services staff across the University.
The Technical Academy was officially launched on the 29 November 2017.
- Professor Sir David Eastwood, Vice-Chancellor, University of Birmingham
- Professor Tim Softley, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Transfer, University of Birmingham
- Helen Sharman OBE, Britain's first astronaut and currently Operations Manager for the Chemistry department at Imperial College London
- Kelly Vere, Higher Education Engagement Manager at the Science Council
The Technical Academy will deliver a tailored programme of events and training specifically designed to enhance skills and professional development of technical staff.