Van Eekelen is a development economist who built his experience in a range of UN agencies and NGOs before assuming his two current roles:
- IDD Teaching Fellow (10%)
- Independent consultant (90%)
In his latter role, Van Eekelen focuses on:
- Organisational capacity assessments and support
- Strategic planning in the humanitarian and international development sectors
- Evaluations of humanitarian and development portfolios with a value of £1 billion and above
The assignments Van Eekelen enjoys most are the ones that require both strategic and detailed analytical thinking; management and technical skills; and interaction with both the developmental elite and the men and women we ultimately aim to empower.