Hongming Xu’s research interests include powertrain system control, fossil fuels and biofuels, fuel systems and mixture preparation, combustion, formation and mitigation of emissions. he can supervise doctoral research in all these areas.
Previous PhD students
1. Sathaporn Chuepeng, “Quantitative Impact on Engine Performance and Emissions of High Proportion Biodiesel Blends and the Required Engine Control Strategies,” 2008 (joint supervision)
2. Jacek Misztal, “Study of Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion and Emission Characteristics in a Multi-Cylinder Engine,” 2009
3. Rizalman Mamat, “Performance and Emission Characteristics of an Automotive Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel Fuel with the Influence of Air Intake Variables,” 2009
4. Pawel Luszcz, “Combustion Diagnostics in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Optical and Thermal Single Cylinder Engines,” 2009
5. Marcin Frackowiak, “Modelling and Diagnostic Study of Flow in an Optical Engine with Negative Valve Overlapping for Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,” 2009
6. George Constandinides, “Thermal Management and Control of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine,” 2010
7. Dale Turner, “The Combustion and Emissions Performance Of Fuel Blends In Modern Combustion Systems,” 2010
8. Jun Zhang, “Particle Matter Emission Control and Related Issues for Diesel Engines,” 2011
9. Richie Daniel, “Combustion and Emissions Performance of Oxygenated Fuels in a Modern Spark ignition Engine,” 2012
10. Yanfei Li, “Experimental Study on Spray and Combustion Characteristics of Diesel-like Fuels,” 2012
11. He Ma, “Control Oriented Engine Modelling and Engine Multiple-objective Optimal Feedback Control,” 2013
12. Fan Zhang, “Spray, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of dieseline Fuel,” 2013
13. Haiying Li, “CFD Modelling Study of Spray and Combustion of Gasoline and DMF in Direct Gasoline Engines,” 2013
14. Chongming Wang, “Combustion and emissions of a direct injection gasoline engine using biofuels,” 2014
15. Changzhao Jiang, “Optical Investigation on the spray and combustion characteristics of the furan bio-fuels,” 2014
16. Dai Liu, “Combustion and emissions of an automotive diesel engine using biodiesel fuels under steady and start conditions,” 2014
17. Powen Tu, “Numerical and experimental study of spray characteristics in the gasoline direct injection engine,” 2015
18. Daling Jing, “Experimental and numerical studies of fuel spray,” 2015
19. Chen Tan, “Model based Control for a Modern Automotive Diesel Engine,” 2015
20. Jianyi Tian, “Particulate emission characteristics of a light duty diesel engine under transient operation conditions,” 2015
21. Thomas Lattimore, “Combustion and emissions of a direct injection gasoline engine using EGR,” 2015
22. Ziman Wang, “Experimental study on diesel spray with single and multiple injection under room temperature and low temperature”, 2015 (joint supervision)
23. Yasser Qahtani, “Particulate matter characterization and control in premixed compression ignition engines”, 2016
24. Soheil Zeraati Rezaei, “Experimental investigation of a premixed compression ignition engine”, 2016
25. Tawfik Badawy, ‘’Optical Diagnostics of Flow and Combustion’’, 2017
26. Yunfan Zhang, ’Optimization and control of a dual-loop EGR system on a modern Diesel engine’’, 2018.
27. Scott Cash, ‘Hybrid Electric Vehicle Modelling and Control’, 2018.
28. Olalere Rafiu Kayode, 'Advanced GDI engines', 2018.
29. Quan Zhou, 'Artificial Intelligence for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Development and Control', 2019.
30. Ziyang Li, 'Online dynamic optimization for the engine management system using artificial intelligence methods', 2019.
31. Aawishkar Dharmadhikari, 'Particular Matter Emissions Characteristics, Dynamics and Control in Compression Ignition Engines', 2020.
32. Lewis Parry – Diesel Engine Combustion with Dual Fuel and EGR, 2020.
33. Ji Li – Driver-oriented Intelligent Control Methodology for Hybrid Electric Vehicles, 2020.
Previous exchange PhD students
1. Xuesong Wu - Combustion and emissions analysis of ‘dual-injection strategy’, Joint Ph.D. with Xi’an Jiaotong University, 2010
2. Yan Gao – performance of catalyst for exhaust gas, Joint Ph.D. with Shandong University, 2013.
3. Haichun Ding – Spray Characterization of Alternative Fuel, Joint Ph.D. with Hefei University of Technology, 2015.
4. Jiyuan Xu - Investigation into the characteristics of DISI Injector deposits, Joint Ph.D. with Shangdong University, 2015.
5. Bo Wang – CFD Modelling of in-cylinder mixture, Joint Ph.D. with University of Nottingham, 2016
6. Yizhou Jiang – Optical Diagnostics of Engine Spray and Combustion, Joint Ph.D. with Tsinghua University, 2017
7. Hengjie Guo – Spray Characterization, Joint Ph.D. with Tsinghua University, 2017
8. Zhirong Liang - Particle emissions with 2DxGCMS, Joint Ph.D. with Beihang University, 2017
Current PhD students
1. Carlo Coratella - Experimental investigation of the non-uniformity
of jets velocities exiting a multi-holes injector
2. Yinglong He –Energy Management for Connected and Autonomous Vehicular Platoon
3. Bin Shuai – Deep Learning for Energy Management of Hybrid Electric Vehicles
4. Zeyu Sun - Battery Thermal Management of Electrified Vehicles
5. Cetengfei Zhang- Online optimal Energy Management Control for Hybrid vehicles
6. Hao Sun - Artificial Intelligence for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Optimization
Post-Doctoral Research Fellows
Several positions open - applications welcome
Previous Research Fellows
1. Dr Guohong Tian - Alternative fuels for Internal Combustion engines
2. Dr He Ma – Real-time Model based Next Generation Engine Management System
3. Dr Arumugam Ramadhas - Cold Start of Diesel Engines (Marie Curie Fellow)
4. Dr Mohammadreza Anbari Attar– Combustion and Emissions High Efficient Engines with Boosting
5. Dr Asish Sarangi - Fuel injection
6. Dr Dhananjay Kumar Srivastava – GDI Engine Deposits
7. Dr Guoxiang Lu – Low Pressure EGR Control Strategy Development
8. Dr Xiuchao Bao – Laminar Flame of Alternative Fuel
9. Dr Chongming Wang – Combustion and emissions in DISI engine fuelled with biofuels (Marie Curie Fellow)
10. Dr Manju- Engine combustion and after treatment (Marie Curie Fellow)
11. Dr Wei Zhang – Hybrid electric vehicle energy management and control
12. Mr Lucas Miles Polglase – Development of advanced combustion systems
13. Dr Amrit Sahu - Optical diagnostics of combustion
Current Research Fellows
1. Dr Quan Zhou – Vehicle electrification and automation
2. Dr Haoye Liu - Gasoline engine PM emission, advanced combustion and fuels
3. Dr Ji Li - AI based powertrain optimisation