Undergraduate Admissions

Can I get a receipt for my accommodation fees?

You will receive an automated receipt from our system once the payment is allocated to your account. If you made a payment more than 10 days ago and have still not received a receipt, please log an incident via our portal and one of the Accounts Receivable team will investigate and resolve this for you.

Tier 4 students: Please note that the University updates your CAS record with any payments made electronically to the UKVI. It is not necessary to request a receipt specifically for your visa appointment.