This module will provide Biochemists with in-depth study of metabolism as a progression from the semester 1 module Fundamentals of Biochemistry (10 credits). We will discuss the metabolism of carbohydrates and pyruvate, and of fatty acids in detail. We will emphasise the experimental techniques, evidence and unifying concepts behind our current understanding of metabolic processes. The module will also provide an introduction to the field of microbiology to equip Biochemists to choose the Level I Microbiology course should they wish.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of the features of metabolism exemplified by the major pathways of carbohydrate and fat metabolism
- interpret some disorders of metabolism by analysis of clinical data in case studies
- demonstrate observational, manipulative, numerical and deductive skills, and write reports (through experience gained in the practical and data-handling classes)
- develop improved skills of independent learning and verbal reporting in the clinical case studies
- develop knowledge of core microbiology including the gut microbiome and knowledge of how to culture microorganisms