NHS funding for prospective undergraduate students

The information on this page is for prospective undergraduate students who intend to start their programme in 2024/25. If you are a current undergraduate student, please consult our information for NHS-funded continuing students.  

Nursing, Physiotherapy and Dental Hygiene and Therapy funding for 2024/25

Students beginning a programme in Nursing, Physiotherapy or Dental Hygiene and Therapy in 2024/25 are able to apply for the NHS Training Grant in addition to any loans received from Student Finance England.  Detailed information on this scheme can be found on the Government's dedicated webpage.  

Medical, Dental or Social Work programmes funding for 2024/25 

In addition to potentially receiving statutory support from the government you may also be eligible for support from the existing NHS Bursary schemes.

Medical and Dental programmes

If you are a 'Home' student studying on a medicine or dentistry programme your funding arrangements will be somewhat different to standard undergraduate programmes.

Will I be eligible for support from the government?

In the first, second, third or fourth year of your studies, you will be funded by the standard student support package that is available from the government. Depending on the length of your term dates, you may be eligible for an extended amount of Maintenance Loan.

If you intend to study Medicine or Dentistry as a second degree, then (if you are English) you will only receive a maintenance loan in your first four years of study and will be expected to pay the tuition fees yourself.  In your 5th year onwards, funding will switch to the NHS, who will support both your fees and living costs through their normal bursary scheme.  Different rules apply for students from Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland - please contact us for advice.

What is the NHS Bursary and how do I apply?

Once you enter your fifth year of study, you become eligible for NHS funding. This means that you will be eligible for a means-tested NHS Bursary. You are also be able to take a reduced-rate Maintenance Loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC). Please note that this is determined by year of study rather than course year. So if you intercalate in your fourth year of study with us, it will be funded by the SLC. The NHS will then fund the remainder of your MBChB (Years 4 and 5 of your actual MBChB degree). If you intercalate in your fifth year of study, your main source of funding will be the NHS.    

You should create an online bursary application account using the NHS Student Bursaries system before you begin your NHS-funded year(s). All students are expected to apply for at least an award that covers the payment of their tuition fees. 

Payments are normally made within 10 working days of the University confirming your re-enrolment, providing your application and supporting evidence have been submitted to the NHS before you started your academic year. If your award was assessed after you started the academic year, the first instalment will be paid within 10 working days of the date on your Notification of Award (NOA), assuming the NHS have already received confirmation of enrolment from the university.

How will my tuition fees be covered?

During the first four years of your degree, you will be able to take out a Tuition Fee Loan from the government (unless you're doing the degree as a 2nd degree) to cover your tuition fee costs.  In your fifth year, the NHS will pay your tuition fees for you.

What other support is available? 

Students studying in Years 1–4 of a medical or dentistry degree may also qualify for a Chamberlain Award from the University. Funding ceases from the fifth year of study onwards when the degrees become NHS-funded. 

If you are a medical or dental student who has exhausted all other sources of financial help, and you are still experiencing financial difficulties, you may, exceptionally, be eligible to apply to the University's Student Support Fund (SSF).

The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) also have a NHS Bursary Hardship Grant that medicine and dental students can apply to if you are experiencing genuine financial hardship.

The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund runs Money4Medstudents, a website featuring tips on managing your money, how to borrow sensibly and where to find other sources of funding.


Social work programmes

Home students studying towards an approved social work degree course may also be able to receive support from the NHS. 

What financial support is available? 

If you are studying on an undergraduate social work degree, in your first year you will be eligible for the normal statutory support from Student Finance England (SFE). Such students may also qualify for a Chamberlain Award from the University.

In subsequent years, it is understood that those students who are performing well on their course may be eligible for a non-repayable bursary from the NHS. Full details regarding this can be found on the NHSBSA website. This bursary will be in addition to any other continuing funding from SFE. However, such students will no longer receive a Chamberlain Award from us. Students who do not receive a social work bursary can apply to have their Chamberlain Award from us continued, and should contact us for advice.

Please note that where there are additional costs associated with attending placements in relation to this course, it is expected that the agency offering the placement will make a contribution towards these.

How do I apply?

You will initially need to apply to Student Finance England (SFE) in order to assess your eligibility for statutory support. In subsequent years, when re-applying to SFE for funding, you should not declare that you are receiving an NHS Bursary as this term does not relate to the Social Work Bursary.

 Find out more

Contact the NHS Business Services Authority