Fee Assessment Questionnaire

UK Government Legislation allows publicly funded institutions to charge fees to "overseas" students at a higher rate than to "home" students unless they fulfil certain residence and immigration status criteria. If we have asked you to complete a Fee Assessment Questionnaire it is because based on the information that you have provided on your application form you have been classified as "overseas" for tuition fee purposes. If you feel that this classification is incorrect, please complete the questionnaire below and provide the relevant supporting documents as evidence.

After the UK's departure from the EU, EU citizens residing outside the UK might incur Overseas fees. Those possessing settled or pre-settled status as per the EU Settlement Scheme, along with certain other groups of students, may be eligible for Home fee status provided they fulfil the residency prerequisites. For further details regarding fee status requirements, refer to the website of the UK Council for International Students (UKCISA).


Information and guidance on immigration and fees for international students can be found at the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). You can also obtain independent advice by telephoning the UKCISA Student Advice Line +44 (0) 20 77889214 (13.00 - 16.00 hrs Monday to Friday).

Specific information on the categories of students who are eligible to be assessed as "home" students can be found at UKCISA fee categories

European Union, European Economic Area and Overseas Territories

 Some of the questions on the form will ask about your residence in the EU, EEA or Overseas Territories. Details of which countries/ territories these include can be found below.

European Union (EU)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland (including the Aland Islands), France (including Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana and Reunion), Germany (including Heligoland), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores), Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including Ceuta, Melilla, the Balearics and the Canary Islands), Sweden.

European Economic Area (EEA)

All the countries in the EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Due to a bilateral agreement in 2002, nationals of Switzerland are considered to be within the relevant area for fee classification purposes and gives them similar rights to those from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Overseas Territories

Anguilla, Aruba, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Ducie and Oeno Islands, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, French Polynesia, French Southern and Antarctic Territories, Greenland, Henderson, Mayotte, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, Sint Eustatius and Sint Maarten), Pitcairn, South Georgia and the SouthSandwich Islands, St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island and Tristan de Cunha), St Pierre et Miquelon, the Territory of New Caledonia and Dependencies, Turks and Caicos Islands and Wallis and Futuna.

Additional Documents

Many questions on the form will require documentary evidence. This should be in the form of a photograph of the document (officially translated into English where necessary). Please be aware that you may be asked to provide original or certified copies of documents at a later date. The following are examples which may be provided to confirm the following:

  • Nationality - Copy of the relevant pages of your current passport. If you have dual nationality, you should include copies of both passports
  • Immigration Status - Your passport, letter from the Home Office, asylum recognition card, residence permit.
  • Age and family relationship - Your birth certificate, parents' passports (if dependent), spouse/civil partner's passport (if relevant), marriage certificate, adoption papers.
  • Residence in a given area - Council tax bill (to show residency in the UK), GP registration, residence permit, utility bills, tenancy agreements.
  • Employment - Contracts, employment letters, payslips.
  • Evidence of regular visits to the UK/EEA - schedule of you return visits including dates, duration and where/with whom you stayed, and could include passport stamps or flight confirmations.
  • Sharecode - a "share code" in the contenxt of EU citizens often refers to a unique code or reference number that is used to access or share specific information related to an individual's immigration or residency status.

Personal Data

The personal information you provide when completing this form will be used by the University solely to determine whether you are classified as a "home" or "overseas" student for the purpose of University tuition fees and will be processed in accordance with the University of Birmingham Data Protection policy. For more information visit our data privacy page.