Choosing our MBA in International Business will develop your ability to perform at the highest level in global business. We will place you on four distinctive and challenging enterprise projects, where you will work closely with businesses in the UK and worldwide to improve your global awareness.
Our approach on the programme is to constantly apply theory to practice – so you will be able to immediately apply your learning in the real world and make a lasting impact on your industry.
If you are interested in a distance learning MBA, you can learn more here. Our Online MBA is the first and only distance learning MBA in the world to be accredited by AMBA.
Please be reassured that the vote to leave the European Union does not mean there will be any immediate material change to the UK university sector’s participation in EU programmes nor to the immigration status of prospective EU students starting in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Visit our EU Referendum information page for more information.
Quick links: Why study this course | Modules | Fees and Funding |Entry Requirements | How to apply
Students take twelve modules and submit a research or company-based project. The modules available to view below are for the full-time MBA International Business programme. Those taking the Global Banking and Finance programme take the core MBA modules plus other specialist modules for their particular programme.
Expand your understanding of international business – develop strategic and management skills by exploring business theory and practice.
Access the latest research – as a research led business school, we give our students access to the latest trends, data and knowledge across global business.
A life-time of career coaching – from the moment you join us you will have a mentor and career coach available to guide you through the many opportunities open to you in international business.
Accredited business school – We hold the prestigious ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).
An enhanced MBA experience
MBA students have the opportunity to gain an insight into how high profile business leaders made it to the top and discover what makes a great leader through our Distinguished Leaders Series.
Select students also have the opportunity to be part of a more intimate round-table discussion with the distinguished leaders, to ask individual questions and explore their career and the theme of leadership in more detail.
The Distinguished Leaders Series showcases the high profile business leaders that come to speak at Birmingham Business School.
- Core taught elements in functional business disciplines. As a research-led School, the latest thinking and techniques can be rapidly incorporated and teaching kept at the cutting edge
- Classes and seminars supplement lectures, where fuller analysis and discussion takes place and important business skills, such as analysis, argument and synthesis, can be developed
- Case studies are used as a means of relating theory to practical situations and students will often work in small groups with other students on assignments designed to develop problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A series of industrial seminars, given by outside speakers from industry and commerce, provides contemporary ‘real world’ perspectives on the business environment – past visitors to the School have included Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England (and a former professor of the University of Birmingham) and Sir John Bond, Chairman of HSBC Holdings
- A residential weekend business simulation requires you to manage a ‘company’ team in competition with others, against tight deadlines and with a range of rapidly changing data to assimilate and act upon (Full-time only)
- Cross-Cultural Management skills are developed in a variety of workshops and Issues in Global Competitiveness are the focus of a specialist series of seminars
- Researching and writing a project develops skills in information gathering, analysis and report writing
- A supporting programme of consultant delivered career-development workshops allow you to reflect on the impact of what you have learnt on your future career development
Students may choose three modules from the list below:
Students must also choose one of the following:
The modules listed on our website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
View The Birmingham MBA Fees.
To learn more about fees and funding, please view the University's guide to tuition fees for postgraduates.
Scholarships and studentships
Scholarships may be available. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
For further information view the currently available MBA scholarships, contact the School directly or visit the University of Birmingham's Students Academic Services.
Postgraduate Loans for Masters students
The new postgraduate loans system for Masters degrees in the UK will be introduced for students commencing in the 2016-17 academic year. As part of the UK’s Chancellor’s 2014 Autumn Statement, the government has reconfirmed its commitment to loans for postgraduate Masters degrees as part of the 2015 Spending Review.
The government-backed student loans will provide up to £10,000 for taught and research Masters courses in all subject areas. Detailed criteria and information regarding the application process is expected in early 2016. For more detailed information view our Postgraduate funding page.
- Questions about funding? Use our Student Help knowledge base to find the answer.
12 month route:
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent), or equivalent professional qualification
- Five years of work experience with evidence of extensive managerial experience or professional responsibility. Three years exceptional work experience meeting this criteria will also be considered
- IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills)
21 month route:
- A good Honours degree, demonstrated numeracy, and adequate preparation in Economics and Accounting
- A minimum of three years full-time work experience
- IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills)
24 month route:
- A good Honours degree (or equivalent),or equivalent professional qualification
- A minimum of three years’ full-time work experience with evidence of extensive managerial experience or professional responsibility
- IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 82 (19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 51 (in all four skills)
Learn more about entry requirements
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries – learn more about international entry requirements
English language requirements:
- 12-month MBA – IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills).
- 21-month route – IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills).
- 24-month route – IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 82 (19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 51 (in all four skills).
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online. Further information regarding how to apply online can be found on the How to apply pages
An MBA alumni, who is now a Marketing Director at Thomson Local, discusses his time studying a Birmingham MBA.
From the very start of your MBA, you receive bespoke advice from our employment consultants. Through one-to-one coaching, our industry experienced they work with you to clarify your aspirations and support you in your future career, jointly developing a winning employment strategy to take you to the next level and to open doors to a range of potential employer.
Whilst on your MBA you will have the opportunity to engage with top international companies. Our MBA students have participated in a range of activities with employers including BP, GE, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Unilever, Deloitte and HSBC.
Group and individual activities to enhance your skills
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to be involved in group and individual activities all aimed at helping you to develop the skills and techniques which lead to highly successful employment outcomes.
A few examples of these activities that you will undertake throughout your MBA programme include online profile building, Careers in Consultancy networking event, Distinguished leaders alumni seminar series, mock assessment centre, skills coaching, and video recorded interview practice.
Careers in Business
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills. At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.
Learn more about the service that our Careers in Business team can provide.
Career development advice
Our consultants offer an individual advice service, which includes:
Career review and objective setting
Interview and selection advice
Working in the UK
International work enquiries
Employers aren’t just looking for great qualifications. They want to see high-quality personal skills too, such as team working, leadership, presentation and interpersonal skills. Our Skills Development Consultants offer individual appointments to help you shape and hone these qualities.
Keeping you up to date
Our Employer Liaison Team regularly undertakes initiatives to attract employment/ project opportunities into the Business School. You can find information about vacancies and other openings on Careers in Business Online and on Business School noticeboards, as well as through the
Careers and Employability Centre vacancy database
Careers events and workshops
This is your chance to find out about employment opportunities, develop your skills and network with industry professionals. Our range of career management, personal development and employer events are a great opportunity to discover what’s open to you upon graduation – just sign up to the events to take part.
Using the Careers and Employability Centre
Postgraduate students in the Business School are very welcome to use the services provided by the Careers and Employability Centre such as online vacancy listings, employer presentations and fairs and accessing online careers information. You can use the Careers in Business team for individual appointments, CV checking, mock interviews and other job search-related activities.