Many local schools have a high regard for Birmingham Religious Education PGDipEd (QTS) students and we have an excellent record of students gaining jobs at the end of the course. For 2013-14, 93% of graduates obtained a post in teaching (with the remaining 7% undertaking further study or choosing to acquire employment outside of teaching). Many of our ex-students are now Heads of Departments in our partnership schools.
'The Religious Studies PGDipED provided me with the skills and confidence to become a successful NQT and the support given throughout the course was integral to getting my first teaching job'. (Oliver Marley)
'The PGDipEd in Religious Education prepared me both practically and theoretically on my journey towards qualified teacher status. In addition to developing an understanding of the different pedagogical approaches to teaching, the course also incorporates visits to places of worship to communicate with people of faith first hand. The support received on the course was second to none. Consequently, I fully intend to return to the University to complete my Masters in Teaching Studies'. (Scott Evans)
'The course offers a rich and stimulating basis for teacher training with the option to undertake the MA in Education at a later point. As a result, I felt that it was this course that would give me a greater understanding and competitive edge when applying for my first teaching post. I have really enjoyed the theoretical and practical aspects that the PGDipED offered and highly recommend it'. (Amarpreet Virk)
'One of my favourite parts of the course was being able to visit the Gurdwara on the Soho Road. Whilst there, we were able to hear stories of how so many people had contributed to the building and life there in some way. This developed my understanding of sewa and reiterated my beliefs about experiential learning in RE. Now, rather than just giving the example of langar in the classroom, I have some beautiful stories to tell'. (Alex Hyde)
'As I sat there in the staffroom of my placement school with trainees from other Universities, I realised that the course at the University of Birmingham was unique. It was not about getting us to tick boxes and jump through hoops simply to pass the course, but about really developing our teaching practice through placements, reflections and relevant essays alike, so that we could begin our teaching careers being the best we could be'. (Alex Hyde)
'I am thoroughly enjoying my teacher training course at the University of Birmingham. The course offers fun and exciting ways to explore different teaching techniques and ideologies, followed by vibrant teaching placements where we can implement these ideas. University tutors and staff are incredible, and are always willing to go the extra mile to offer additional support. The course has helped me to grow as a teacher, professional and individual. So far it has been a fantastic journey and I look forward to returning to complete my Masters'. (Aisha Moosa)
'Now that I’m an NQT, I realise the outstanding nature of the course and appreciate how prepared it made me for teaching life. I know that I am a stronger teacher due to the support I received whilst studying for my R.E. PGDipEd at Birmingham. The opportunity to complete an MA in Teaching Studies is fantastic and one which I am looking forward to taking’. (Sam Howells)