Your two core modules are as follows:
This module provides a grounding in the analysis of the lexis and grammar of English. You will be introduced to essential concepts and terminology in the field, and gain practice in analysing naturally-occurring language using the models (e.g. Systemic-Functional Grammar) discussed. There is some emphasis on the application of such analysis to the study of language in social context.
Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
This module includes a course in methods and approaches to research in Applied Linguistics.
In the autumn term, you will choose two optional modules from a range which includes:
- Social and Multimodal Aspects of Communication OR Social and Psychological Aspects of Language OR Psychological and Multimodal Aspects of Communication
- Discourse, Culture and Communication
- Syllabus and Materials Design
- Exploring English Grammar
In the spring term, you will choose three further optional modules from a range which includes:
- Cognitive Linguistics and Language Learning
- Corpus Approaches to Language Learning
- Corpus Approaches to Teaching Grammar
- Corpus Linguistics
- English as a Global Language
- Issues and Approaches in English for Academic Purposes
- Intercultural Communication
- Language and Gesture
- Language and New Media
- Language and the Senses
- Language, Gender and Identity
- Language Teaching Observation and Practice
- Psycholinguistics in TESOL
- Teacher Training
- Vocabulary and Phraseology
For more information, see our English Language and Applied Linguistics module descriptions.
Please note that one of your spring term options will be linked to the Research Methods module for assessment purposes and will appear on your transcript as ‘Research Methods in Applied Linguistics.’
Please note that the optional modules listed on the website for this programme are intended to be indicative, and the availability of optional modules may vary from year to year. Where a module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you to make other choices.