Course details: Modules | Fees and funding | Entry requirements | How to apply.
The MPA is an international masters programme, aimed at those who aspire to a career in public management or policy-making in government, public agencies or non-governmental organizations working with government, whether at local, regional, national or international levels, worldwide. Since the programme was founded in 2009 it has attracted students from Azerbaijan, Brunei, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Croatia, France, Georgia, Guyana, India, Indonesia, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Mexico, Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, South Africa, South Sudan, St Kitts, St Lucia, Tajikistan, Thailand, United Kingdom, Vietnam.
The programme intended to provide students with:
- A rigorous and culturally-sensitive understanding of the key concepts and issues underpinning the practice of public administration internationally.
- The ability to critically analyse structures and processes in public administration and service management.
- A thorough understanding of the processes of public policy and management and the factors that may influence the success or failure of public policies.
- An understanding of the relationship between leadership and management in government.
- A critical understanding of public finance at international, national and sub-national levels.
The programme consists of three compulsory modules, three optional modules and a dissertation. The dissertation is on a topic of your choosing, within the overall subject area of Public Administration.
There is a one-week field trip at the end of the second term, which aims to study, through a series of meetings with public officials and country experts, the system of public administration in the country visited and the degree to which it meets the strategic challenges faced by that country. Countries visited in previous years include (in some years two trips were organized due to numbers): Romania (2009), Turkey (2010, 2011, 2014), Germany (2012, 2014), Austria (2013, 2015), Azerbaijan (2013).
Who is the programme for?
The programme is for those who seeking to embark on or advance a career in management or policymaking in the state/public sector.
The normal admission requirement for our taught postgraduate programmes is a good first degree or an equivalent professional qualification. Work experience in the public sector is desirable, but not essential, for admission to the MPA programme. Candidates without a first degree who have substantial work experience in public administration may be considered for admission (subject to interview and/or written statement).