This course consists of 180 credits. You will study all of the core modules below which
comprise 120 credits and undertake a 60-credit research project.
Nuclear Instrumentation, Radiation Dosimetry and Protection – 20 credits
– Covering Particle Detectors, Neutron Radiation Physics, Nuclear Electronics, Radiation Dosimetry, Radiological Protection and Radiation Shielding
Radiation Transport, Thermal Hydraulics and Reactor Engineering – 20 credits
– Covering Radiation and Charged Particle Transport, Thermal Hydraulics and Reactor Engineering, Fusion, Statistics,
Reactor Physics and Reactor Kinetics
Reactor Materials, Reactor Systems and NDE – 20 credits
– Covering Metallurgy, Reactor Systems and Safety Analysis, Nuclear Fuel Cycle, Non-Destructive Testing, Reactor Control and Radio Chemistry.
General Paper – 20 credits
– Covering Environmental Implications of Nuclear Power, Reactor Materials, Financial Appraisal, Decommissioning and Industrial Lecture Series.
Practical Skills – 40 credits
– Covering Physics Laboratory, Physics Metallurgy Laboratory, Computing and Numerical Analysis, Reactor Safety Exercise, Seminars and Presentations.
Research Project – 60 credits
– Covering project work and thesis
Please note: The modules listed on the website for this programme are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the latest research and teaching methods.