Birmingham Masters Scholarship
We are offering over 200 awards of £2,000 to support the brightest and best applicants wishing to undertake Masters study at the University during 2022-23.
We want you to excel at Birmingham and to stand out in an increasingly competitive, global job market once you graduate. Alongside our robust personal and academic support, we offer financial support to ensure the very best candidates can undertake postgraduate study with us.
The Birmingham Masters scholarships will be awarded to over 200 candidates beginning their Masters study in 2022 and awards will be based on previous academic and/or professional performance. Candidates are expected to attain a First-class or Upper Second-class (2:1) Honours degree (or the equivalent) for their undergraduate qualification and to provide a strong personal statement in evidence of their achievements.
Applications are now open for Round 2. The deadline for applications is 23:59 on Friday 1 July 2022.
The Birmingham Master Scholarships will be available to students who are:
- Domiciled in the UK — students recorded as Home for fee status purposes are eligible, provided that they meet the other eligibility criteria;
- Self-funded — you must be self-funding or applying for a postgraduate government loan to pay your fees and living expenses and not in receipt of any other scholarships (excluding the University of Birmingham Postgraduate Progression Award which can be held in addition to the Birmingham Masters Scholarship);
- Not already registered on a postgraduate programme — applicants must not currently be enrolled on a postgraduate degree course;
- Undertaking a Masters course in an eligible subject
Eligible courses include the following, delivered at our Edgbaston Campus or by distance learning.
- MA (Taught)
- MSc (Pre-reg)
- MSc (Taught)
Please note that MA/MSc by Research and MRes (combined taught and research) programmes are not eligible.
Eligibility to receive the scholarship will be determined by a University selection panel based on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence and previous study - Birmingham Masters Scholarships are primarily awarded on the basis of academic performance in the applicants’ previous studies
- Professional qualifications and achievements - Qualifications and other notable achievements from relevant professional roles will be taken into account
- Strength of the personal statement - The personal statement is a chance to make the application stand out. It should, amongst other things: outline your interest in the subject, demonstrate that your background has sufficiently prepared you for the degree, mention any relevant experience and outline how the course will fit into your future plans
- University or College subject priorities
To be considered for an award, applicants must, by the deadline, have done both of the following:
- Made an application to their intended Masters programme. Please apply through the relevant programme page on the Course finder section of the University of Birmingham website. This must include all of the relevant supporting documentation: references, transcripts if available, and English language certification if applicable.
- Completed the Birmingham Masters Scholarships application form.
Applicants should enter the application ID number that they were given during the application to the Masters programme.
Applications are now open. The deadline for applications is 23:59 on Friday 1 July 2022. Successful candidates will be notified of the outcome by the end of August 2022.
If you applied for the first round of our Birmingham Masters Scholarship which closed on 30 April 2022, you do not need to apply again. If successful, you will be notified of the outcome of your application to round 1 at the beginning of June 2022.
Are you a current final year undergraduate student at Birmingham?
Apply for the Postgraduate Progression Award.