Postgraduate study or research
At Birmingham we have over 600 taught postgraduate programmes and a wealth of world-leading research opportunities to choose from, to help you widen your skills base, further your knowledge and boost your career prospects.
Why choose Birmingham?
Our high-quality teaching and supervision will help you take your skills and career to the next level. Here, you’ll feel engaged, motivated and challenged, as part of our inclusive community that has a strong research culture. This is your time. This is your place.
- We're in the top three most targeted universities in the UK by graduate employers (High Fliers Graduate Market in 2023)
- Our local, national and international employer connections will help you develop your skills while studying
- We are a Russell Group research university, ranked at 84 in the top 100 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2024)
In the recent Research Excellence Framework 2021 we were:
- Ranked 12th overall in the UK for research power
- Ranked equal 10th in the Russell Group and equal 13th in the UK for 4* research (THE)
- Ranked 12th overall in the UK for Research Power
- Recognised as having more than 50% of our research as 4*
Your Postgraduate Guarantee
By choosing Birmingham, you’re joining a large, diverse and vibrant postgraduate community. Whatever your area of study, you can look forward to a stimulating, engaging experience of the highest quality. This is our commitment to you.
- You’ll engage with challenging debates, theories and concepts
- We'll provide a strong choice of programmes to suit your ambitions and interests, backed by academics expertise and influence
- You'll enjoy the support and facilities of a global, research-intensive university
- Your experience will be unique, but with a degree that proves an asset in future and personal development matched to your chosen career
Doing a Masters, which is in nature more challenging and autonomous than an undergraduate degree, can make you stronger, more motivated, and determined!Eleni, MSc Marketing
I love meeting new people, and during my PhD I’ve gained a really wide network of individuals from academia, various governments, tech start-ups, investors, and NGOs.Tessa, PhD in African Studies and Anthropology