Skip to main content
students on green heart

Postgraduate research

We offer a wealth of world-leading research opportunities to choose from.

Postgraduate research degrees involve the completion of original academic research. There are three different types of research degree: MRes, MA/MSc by Research and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Our research degrees develop your skills to become an independent researcher, advance your knowledge in your field and progress your career within your chosen industry.

Find a Funded PhD

Search for a funded PhD project. Projects are set by our academics in a variety of research areas.

Campus - New Library

Search for a PhD supervisor

Search for a supervisor to support your own research.

Browse our research degrees

Browse our research degrees. We offer 140 research degrees to suit your interests and specialisms.


Not sure which research degree is right for you? 

Review our guide to MRes, MSc/MA by Research and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees below.

Having a supervisor in mind when applying for an MRes or PhD means you will be able to contact them in advance, and know whether they are the right person for you, and whether your project is a viable one.

Natasha, MRes in Research in Human Geography

Postgraduate Open Events

Join one of our on campus or online open events to find out more about postgraduate research and living in Birmingham.

Main library
Our Main Library has a range of facilities to support postgraduate researchers
Aston Webb Building
The Aston Webb Building, where our graduation ceremonies take place in the Great Hall
The clock tower on campus
Our famous clock tower is fondly known as 'Old Joe'