Apply for an advertised PhD
Guidance for completing your research application to an 'advertised PhD'.
Considering and applying for a PhD can seem like a daunting experience and you may have questions over where to start and what you need to do at each stage. Applying to an ‘advertised PhD’, is a simple 4-step process.
1. Find your project
We offer a huge diversity of opportunities for research at postgraduate level. Find and identify your project via our advertised PhD's database.
2. Find out more about the project
Make sure you read all the detailed information about the research project including duration, funding level/type, entry requirements and application deadlines. If you need more information, contact the relevant department to find out more. Pay attention to the application process as you may be asked to apply to the specific project or be asked to apply to a larger subject area and identify the project title within your application.
3. Prepare your personal statement and supporting documents
We’ll ask for specific documents to support your application. These include academic certificates, two references and proof of English Language skills. If you apply for your own research programme, you’ll also need to include a research proposal.
Once you have found your research project you will need to check the entry requirements to see if you are eligible to undertake research with us. Typically you will need need a good Honours degree and usually a Masters degree. Alternative equivalent qualifications and experience may also be considered but it's best to visit the project or course page for more detailed information.
4. Submit your formal application
Once you've identified your project and prepared your supporting documents, you are ready to make a fomal application to the University. You can do this online by visiting your chosen research project page and following the instructions to apply. You will create an online account and be asked to upload your supporting documents.
Application portal top tips
- You don’t need to complete your application in one session. Simply save it and come back to it when you’re ready.
- Avoid delays by checking all your information is accurate and complete.
- Your application won’t be processed until you’ve completed all the relevant sections and submitted it.
- If you run into any technical issues with your application, email us at email@example.com
What to expect next
Once you’ve submitted your application, we’ll send you details on how to access your applicant portal. You’ll be able to track the progress of your application, update your personal information, view decisions and accept offers.
Good to know
- Your application will be ‘pending’ on your portal while we check your application.
- You can add or edit some details or documents within your application after it’s been submitted through your applicant portal. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org (include your applicant ID number) and we can add or edit for you.