Postgraduate research entry requirements
Typical entry requirements for Postgraduate Researchers
To gain admission to a research degree programme (with the exception of the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Medicine (MD)) an applicant must comply with the following entry requirements:
- Attainment of an Honours degree (normally a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree or equivalent) in a relevant subject awarded by an approved university, or
- Attainment of an alternative qualification or qualifications and/or evidence of experience judged by the University as indicative of an applicant’s potential for research and as satisfactory for the purpose of entry to a research degree programme.
- Admission and registration for a research degree programme may be conditional on satisfactory completion of preliminary study, which may include assessment.
- In some cases you will also need to have completed a Masters degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject.
- Entry onto many programmes is highly competitive, therefore we consider the skills, attributes, motivation and potential for success of an individual when deciding whether to make an offer.
- Specific entry requirements are given for each programme. Any academic and professional qualifications or industrial experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases form an integral part of the entrance requirements. If your qualifications are non-standard or different from the entry requirements stated in the online prospectus, please contact the relevant school or department to discuss whether your application would be considered.
- After we have received your application you may, if you live in the UK, be invited for an interview or to visit us to discuss your application.
Find your entry requirements
The best place to find your specific entry requirements is by visiting the specific course or project page. This will tell you if you there are certain conditions you need to meet in order to be offered a place on the programme.