Great Britain China Centre Student Awards
- Level of study
- Doctoral research
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- China, Hong Kong, UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
Awards to Chinese citizens studying in the UK at PhD level. Applicants must have started their third year and awards are up to £3,000. Also gives awards to British postgraduate students giving conference papers in China, or travelling to China to pursue essential doctoral research, or studying Chinese language.
Value of Award
Awards granted up to £3,000
However, the most common amount awarded is between £1,500-£2,000.
- Chinese (from the PRC inc. Hong Kong) studying for a PhD in any subject at a UK university. Students must have started their third year before they are eligible to submit their application.
- British PhD students giving conference papers in China, or travelling to China to pursue essential doctoral research. The Universities' China Committee in London (UCCL) also has an award in this category. Check their pages (no.6 of their criteria).
- Students may apply twice for the award, but must wait a year before trying again.
How to Apply
The Application Form
Supervisor's Comments Form
- Applicants MUST use the current application form, reference v.2016.08 or v.2016.05 (printed at the bottom of the form). This form may be downloaded from this website. Applications submitted on any other form will be rejected. If you cannot download the form please contact the following address and an up to date form will be emailed to you - email@example.com (quicker reply), or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applicants should complete the application form as fully as possible and ensure it is signed. The form must be signed by 3 people: the applicant, the applicant's supervisor, and the head of the department.
- Enclose a CV but no more than 4 pages.
- Include confirmation of any offers of scholarships and other supporting documentation, if appropriate.
- Applicants may enclose on separate sheets any additional information that supports their application.
- The form should be completed in black typescript as it will be photocopied.
- Do not submit double-sided pages. Double-side applications will be automatically rejected. This includes the Supervisor's Comments form.
- Do not fax through your form. Please post your form allowing time to meet the deadline. Emailed forms are acceptable in Word, PDF, or similar.
- Helpful if you do NOT staple the form.
- The applicant must provide a minimum of one reference which must be completed by their supervisor. The Supervisor's Comments Form must be completed and signed by the supervisor. NOT double-sided.
- The completed and signed form may be enclosed with the application or sent under separate cover.
- The form may be emailed as long as it has been signed - email@example.com.
- Additional information from the supervisor may be included on a separate sheet.
- Applicants should ensure that their references are submitted on time as applications without references will not be considered. This is a strict rule. Late references will automatically lead to the candidate's application being disqualified.
- References supplied, in addition to the supervisor's comments, must not be dated more than six months before the meeting date.