Level of Study: Doctoral research
Subject area: Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences
Nationality: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Cote d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, The, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen
Type of Award: External
Deadline for applying: 31/12/2016
The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) is a multilateral financial development institution based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. IDB was established with the purpose of fostering economic development and social progress in its member countries, in accordance with the principles of Shariah i.e. Islamic law. The IDB is composed of 56 member countries across Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America.
The IDB launched its Merit Scholarship Programme (MSP) to contribute to the development of human resources and institutions in its member countries, in science and hi-technology fields, where such expertise is lacking but considered crucial for their sustainable development.
The scholars are expected to contribute to the development priorities of their respective IDB member countries, pursuing research in areas such Health, Agriculture, Water Resource Management, Alternative Energies, Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology and Engineering ICT.
Value of Award
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- All academic expenses
- Living allowances
- Health Insurance
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study
- Conference Participation allowance
- Scientific Paper preparation allowance
- Computer allowance (for Ph.D. only)
- Family allowance (for Ph.D. only)
The applicant must:
- be a citizen of an IDB member country, and a permanent employee of an academic institution or a research centre of his/her country
- secure admission at the University of Birmingham, using the UoB standard entry procedures
- be 35 years of age or younger
- be nominated and sponsored by their institutions and considered suitable and appropriate by the Offices of the IDB Governors of their countries in terms of the developmental and scientific needs of their countries.
- have an academic background in an area of research related to science/technology, as listed on the ISD scholarship programme web-site
- have a proposed research area that is directly relevant to the development priorities of his/her country, demonstrated by a research proposal endorsed by the University of Birmingham
- have above average ("Very Good") in academic standing
- have work and/or research experience of not less than two years, with a strong history of developing publications and research in a relevant research area
How to Apply
- Please visit the IDB Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology (MSP) website.
- Prospective applicants should visit the IDB website to download an application form and read the full information in relation to eligibility and how to apply.
- Prospective applicants must complete the application form and send it together with the required documents to the office of the IDB Governor in his/her own IDB member country, and not directly to the IDB Headquarters in Jeddah.
- The application must reach the relevant IDB Governor's Office (or its designated office) by December 31 each year, for entry to the University of Birmingham in September the following year.