The General Sir John Monash Foundation
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
The General Sir John Monash Foundation offers up to ten Scholarships per year for postgraduate study at a non-Australian university. Only Australian citizens graduating from Australian universities are eligible to apply.
The John Monash Scholarships are one of Australia’s most prestigious awards, recognizing potential leaders in all fields. To consider applying, a candidate and their referees should believe they have demonstrated excellence in their university degree, together with the ability to lead in the private or public sector. Further, they must provide a compelling case that they can make a major contribution to the advancement of Australia in their subsequent career. They must believe that completing a postgraduate qualification at an outstanding institution in another country would give them recognition, skills, and networks that equip them for a leadership role in or for Australia in coming decades.
For the ten applicants who receive a John Monash Scholarship each year, the benefits are immediate and enduring. John Monash Scholars immediately achieve national and local recognition through the publicity offered to the Awards. The Scholars are then funded for up to three years of study at a leading institution in another country, achieving a qualification that equips them for a greater role. Over the longer term, the Scholars are part of a growing community – now over 50 – of outstanding young Australian leaders aspiring to preserve and enhance our nation.
The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender or academic field of study. They may be taken up at any non-Australian university, subject to that university being considered to be amongst the global leaders in the chosen field of study. While no upper age limit is stipulated, Scholarships will be made to those whose major contribution to their field and to the community lies ahead of them.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree at any overseas university, however the applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution.
Value of Award
Between 10 and 20 postgraduate Scholarships are available, depending on the quality of the candidates, each valued at AUD $65,000 per year for a maximum of three years (up to AUD $195,000).
To be eligible to apply for a John Monash Scholarship you must:
- Be an Australian Citizen;
- Have completed or be about to complete an undergraduate degree from an Australian University, and;
- Be planning to undertake postgraduate study at an overseas university commencing in the calendar year following the year of application and selection.
The Scholarships support any postgraduate degree however the Applicant must be able to argue the merits of the chosen course and institution.
The John Monash Scholarships are not limited by age, gender, or academic field of study.
In awarding John Monash Scholarships, factors considered include:
- Excellence in the candidate’s field of study – This is usually demonstrated by having completed or be about to complete a university degree or degrees with outstanding results, but can also be demonstrated through prizes, awards, conference presentations, publications, performance and exhibitions (for arts candidates);
- leadership and citizenship – Candidates should demonstrate leadership experience or potential in the field of study, professional environment and/or the community.
- research project or study program – Specific, well-developed case for support for the candidate’s study to be conducted at an overseas university. Applicants will need to justify why this is the right program, at the right point in their career, at the right institution.
- proposed career pathway– Candidates must present a credible and concrete pathway, addressing an issue the applicant is passionate about, and which will be of benefit to Australia; and
- two references: outlining the applicants abilities and endorsing the proposed course of study.
The John Monash Scholarships are available for postgraduate Scholars to attend universities that are considered to be amongst the global leaders in their field of study. Applicants should identify in their applications up to three universities to which they have sought or would seek acceptance.
How to Apply
Completed applications must be submitted online between May and August. Application forms can be found on the organisation's website.
- State- and Territory-based panels will shortlist applicants and recommend nominations for consideration by the National Awards Committee
- The National Awards Committee, chaired by a Director of the Foundation, is responsible for examining applications and making recommendations to the Board of the Foundation, who will make the final selection of winners
- Winners of the John Monash Scholarships are informed by the CEO of the Foundation and publically announced by the Governor-General of Australia in March
Doctoral Research Enquiry Service
0121 414 5005