Yorkshire Ladies’ Council of Education
- Level of study
- Any Postgraduate, Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- None. Open all year.
Yorkshire Ladies’ Council of Education was established as an independent organisation in 1875. Its aims were to improve the lives and the education of girls and women of all classes in Leeds and Yorkshire. It provides small awards to help British women (aged over 21) who cannot finance their chosen educational course from their own resources and who do not qualify for local authority support. The Awards Committee meets three times a year to consider the applications for grants.
Value of Award
- The average grant awarded is between £200 and £400.
- Grants support COURSE FEES only.
- Grants are paid direct to institutions on behalf of applicants. No payments are made to individuals.
The YLCE Awards Committee considers personal applications from women who:
- are British citizens
- are aged 21 and over
- have a confirmed offer of a place at a British educational institution
- are not eligible for Student Loan Company support and require help with course fees
- are not related to a member of the Yorkshire Ladies’ Council of Education.
How to Apply
Application form can be found on the website, the form is to be completed with reference to the Guidelines:
- Use black ink, write neatly and legibly, and respond in full to each section.
- Do not use abbreviations or acronyms in the first instance.
- All information must be supplied on the original application form itself, as it appears on the website. Any attached sheets will be discarded and not forwarded to the Awards Committee.
- Applications are assessed in September, March and June, and completed forms must be received by the first day of the relevant month.
Doctoral Research Enquiry Service
0121 414 5005