Birmingham postgraduates are highly sought after by employers and most find employment soon after gaining their degree. On average, 92% of our postgraduate students find employment within six months of leaving the University.
Our University Graduate School and Careers Network, the on-campus centre for careers and employability, offers support and expert career advice tailored to meet the diverse needs of our postgraduate researcher community.
Whether you’re looking for a career as an academic, starting your own business or are still unsure; we have dedicated resources and services for postgraduate researchers to help you identify your career aims, contact prospective employers, and develop your skills.
What can we offer you?
Our University Graduate School, based in Westmere house, works in association with the Careers Network to provide a variety of services that are accessible throughout the year, including:
- Westmere Careers workshop series for postgraduate researchers;
- One-to-one career guidance from our college-specific advisors;
- CV and job application advice;
- An annual programme of careers fairs on campus for our postgraduate researchers to meet employers and find out about a range of opportunities available
- Employer presentations and networking sessions;
- Careers workshops to help our postgraduates with areas such as interview skills and finding work experience;
- Monthly Postgraduate Careers Clubs– informal themed sessions for postgraduates to discuss career ideas and concerns;
- Enterprise skills training for postgraduates;
- Support and advice on setting up your own business;
- Online career action planning tools and self-enrolment career development courses to use in your own time and support your career planning.