Professor Alessandra Guariglia, Head of Department - The Department of Economics is committed to research and teaching excellence. Its faculty focuses on experimental, financial, international, environmental, as well as other branches of economics. Most of the courses offered are research-led, and all of them offer a high level of employability and opportunities.”
Explore and understand the economic issues affecting political and current affairs.
Taught and research degrees to provide academic excellence and vocational relevance.
A PhD Programme fully accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council.
Degree programmes and courses
We offer a number of degree programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as an active PhD programme fully accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
Top ranked Economics BSc programme
BSc Economics at Birmingham is consistently highly ranked, which means that your degree will be well regarded within the global employment market and your portfolio and career prospects will be given a boost.
Highly ranked for research intensity
We were placed 6th in the REF 2014 subject ranking with 90% of academic colleagues submitting research for review. This demonstrates that we are commited to the highest standard of quality and impact in our research.
Birmingham Experimental Economics Laboratory
Conducting research into how people make their decisions to help better understand market choice and behaviour and how this impacts society; find out more.
Research in the department is organised into a number of research groups including: Experimental Economics, Microeconomic Theory and Applications and Trade, Environment, Development and Energy (TEDE)
Nobel Prize winner Professor Al Roth visited the University of Birmingham to give a guest lecture (left) and Tongzhou Lei discussed studying Money Banking and Finance BSc at Birmingham Business School.
- Birmingham Business School is proud to announce that Dr Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Economics, has recently been awarded the 2014 Duncan Black Prize for the best paper in Public Choice by a senior scholar.
- Thursday 19th February 2015
- The commitment to research that exists within Economics has been underlined by the results of the recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 exercise, with the Department ranked 6th out of 28 institutions on research intensity.
- Thursday 15th January 2015
- In this latest podcast, Dr Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay discusses his research that looks at factors that play apart in politics, voting and the government.
- Thursday 31st July 2014
View more Economics news