Initial Teacher Training

Department of Professional Education

We have a long tradition of providing high quality teacher training courses in Primary and Secondary education at the University of Birmingham. We offer two routes into teaching, the Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDipEd) and School Direct. 

Post-Graduate Diploma in Education

The highly acclaimed University route leading to a Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDipEd)led by the University in partnership with selected schools in the region. Consecutive inspections by the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted) have graded our teacher training courses as ‘outstanding’, making the University of Birmingham the destination of choice for initial teacher training. The PGDipEd leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and includes 120 credits which may be used towards our master’s degree in Masters in Teaching Studies.It is a unique course offering a substantial amount of practice in schools, high quality training and excellent employment prospects.

For applicants who do not meet the subject entrance requirements for our Mathematics and Physics courses, we offer Subject Enhancement courses.

School Direct

The School Directroute offered by a number of National Teaching Schools and other key partner schools in the region in partnership with schools in their alliances and with the University of Birmingham’s initial teacher training team. For School Direct students, the University of Birmingham offers a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (School Direct).


If you are unsure as to whether to chose the PGDipEd or School Direct route, it might be useful for you to draw a list of questions to help you explore the different programmes on offer.