The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management. We enrich the world of local public service with research evidence and innovative ideas, making a positive difference.
New Executive Programme: Certificate in Overview and Scrutiny (3 day course)
04-06 November 2015
New Executive Programme: Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning (5 day course)
05-07 October, 02, 03 November 2015
Explore complex issues, question conventional thought and address challenges in Public Management, Administration, Public Service Commissioning and Local Policy and Politics.
MSc, PG Certificate, Diploma
Our research bridges the gap between the academic and the practitioner and has a major influence on academic and policy audiences. We produce a range of publications from our research.
Research and Publications
If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development.
Seminars and short courses
- Monday 5th October 2015
- 05-07 October, 02, 03 November 2015. This Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning focuses directly on the current challenge of coping with public service funding cuts at a time of rising service needs and expectations.
- Wednesday 4th November 2015
- This three day programme works through the stages and techniques of the scrutiny process, and the ways in which it may be used both to hold executives to account and to develop policy. It may be used as an induction and training in the principles of good scrutiny for those who are new or relatively new to the topic (including an update on issues for scrutiny raised by new legislation and the Coalition's approach to local government). It will also assist those with experience of scrutiny to develop their skills and improve their practice.
- Written by Katherine Tonkiss. "The Audit Commission played a central role in the audit, inspection, performance improvement and regulation of local authorities (and other public service providers) in England for over thirty years. Operating at arm's length from government, it thrived under the efficiency and performance improvement agendas of successive Conservative and Labour governments, growing into a large and powerful public body."
- Wednesday 24th June 2015
- Written by Chris Game. "The topical, and certainly most agreeable, purpose of this blog is to applaud the appointment of illustrator, cartoonist and writer, Chris Riddell, as the ninth Children's Laureate. The enviably talented Riddell has been The Observer's political cartoonist for 20 years and is also a writer and multi-award-winning illustrator of children's books. But before any of that fame and fortune, he generously provided easily the most eye-catching half-page in an INLOGOV undergraduate degree recruitment brochure.
- Friday 12th June 2015
- Written by Chris Game. "Despite what service users doubtless feel on occasions, things can move quite fast in local government."
- Friday 5th June 2015
- Written by Sue Olney. In this post, Sue Olney (@olney_sue) gives us an overview of the International Research Society of Public Management Conference (IRSPM) hosted by INLOGOV, and provides some highlights as well as links to interesting sessions.
- Friday 29th May 2015
Welcome to INLOGOV