The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management. We enrich the world of local public service with research evidence and innovative ideas, making a positive difference.
New Executive Programme: Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning (5 day course)
29, 30 September and 01 October 2014 and 27, 28 October 2014
Certificate in Overview and Scrutiny (3 day course)
06 - 08 October 2014
Certificate in Scrutiny Methods and Investigations (3 day course)
19 - 21 November 2014
Explore complex issues, question conventional thought and address challenges in Public Management, Administration, Public Service Commissioning and Local Policy and Politics.
MSc, PG Certificate, Diploma
Our research bridges the gap between the academic and the practitioner and has a major influence on academic and policy audiences. We produce a range of publications from our research.
Research and Publications
If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development.
Seminars and short courses
- Monday 29th September 2014
- 29, 30 September and 01 October 2014 and 27, 28 October 2014. This Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning focuses directly on the current challenge of coping with public service funding cuts at a time of rising service needs and expectations.
- Monday 6th - Wednesday 8th October 2014
- This three day programme works through the stages and techniques of the scrutiny process, and the ways in which it may be used both to hold executives to account and to develop policy. It may be used as an induction and training in the principles of good scrutiny for those who are new or relatively new to the topic (including an update on issues for scrutiny raised by new legislation and the Coalition's approach to local government). It will also assist those with experience of scrutiny to develop their skills and improve their practice.
- Written by Chris Game. The least surprising part of Douglas Carswell's defection to UKIP was surely his decision to resign his Clacton seat and seek re-election in a by-election.
- Friday 29th August 2014
- Written by Chris Game. MPs from all parties have called in recent weeks for parliament to be reconvened to enable them to debate the ongoing crisis in Iraq. They have met with unbending opposition. But David Cameron's decision to bring everyone back last year to eulogise Margaret Thatcher might make it difficult for him to resist indefinitely.
- Thursday 21st August 2014
- This exciting taught module is offered as part of our new Global Cooperation and Security MSc. Taught by Professor Mark Webber Global Cooperation in Practice examines how academic debates on cooperation and policy-making stand up against the actual experience of implementation.
- Monday 18th August 2014
- This exciting taught module is offered as part of our new Global Cooperation and Security MSc. Taught by Professor Nicholas Wheeler this module provides advanced theoretical training in how to think about the challenges of building security in an uncertain world characterised by multi-level interactions and unprecedented levels of global interconnectedness.
- Monday 18th August 2014
Welcome to INLOGOV