The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management. We enrich the world of local public service with research evidence and innovative ideas, making a positive difference.
New Executive Programme: Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning (5 day course)
03, 04 and 05 March and 28, 29 April 2015
Explore complex issues, question conventional thought and address challenges in Public Management, Administration, Public Service Commissioning and Local Policy and Politics.
MSc, PG Certificate, Diploma
Our research bridges the gap between the academic and the practitioner and has a major influence on academic and policy audiences. We produce a range of publications from our research.
Research and Publications
If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development.
Seminars and short courses
- Tuesday 3rd March 2015
- 03, 04 and 05 March and 28, 29 April 2014. This Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning focuses directly on the current challenge of coping with public service funding cuts at a time of rising service needs and expectations.
- Monday 30th March - Wednesday 1st April 2015
- Public management faces a 'perfect storm' of challenges ranging from growing expectations and demand, demographic change and financial constraint. Whilst some have sought to look for stability in weathering the storm, others have argued for more radical alternatives.
- Written by Chris Game. With a forced smile and through gritted teeth, Tower Hamlets' elected mayor, Lutfur Rahman, has announced himself willing to accept – and even "welcome" – the intervention package set out for his borough by Eric Pickles, secretary of state for communities and local government.
- Friday 21st November 2014
- Written by Chris Game. He kept Communities and Local Government Secretary, Eric Pickles, waiting until almost literally the 23rd hour of the 14th day of his two-week deadline. In the end, though, Tower Hamlets' elected mayor, Lutfur Rahman, having last Friday lost his second, and ill-advised, application for a judicial review, was left with little choice.
- Thursday 20th November 2014
- The Birmingham Doctoral Training Centre is one of only 21 across the UK to be accredited by the ESRC. It has 22 ESRC scholarships to fund doctoral research starting in 2015.
- Monday 17th November 2014
- Written by Ian Briggs. Many rural and semi-rural localities are struggling to cope with the increasing number of applications for potential new housing developments, a proportion of which seem to defy logic and sound planning sense when matched against local knowledge and established patterns of socialisation.
- Thursday 13th November 2014
Welcome to INLOGOV