The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management. We enrich the world of local public service with research evidence and innovative ideas, making a positive difference.
New Executive Programme: Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning (5 day course)
03, 04 and 05 March and 28, 29 April 2015
Explore complex issues, question conventional thought and address challenges in Public Management, Administration, Public Service Commissioning and Local Policy and Politics.
MSc, PG Certificate, Diploma
Our research bridges the gap between the academic and the practitioner and has a major influence on academic and policy audiences. We produce a range of publications from our research.
Research and Publications
If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development.
Seminars and short courses
- Monday 3rd November 2014
- This ESRC Festival of Social Sciences event focuses on what needs to be done so that people working to deliver public services can embody the values, attitudes and behaviours that are needed for 21st Century public services.
- Friday 7th November 2014
- This ESRC Festival of Social Science workshop will provide an in depth exploration of the legislative process in the UK for AS and A level Government and Politics students.
- Written by Catherine Staite. Leadership is not a sprint – it's a marathon. You are in it for the long haul and that is why courage is so important. Maya Angelou argued that courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently and that is certainly evident in the role of chief executive. Not only do you need to keep yourself going through challenging times, you also need to be able to demonstrate courage to your staff and members. If you falter, so will they.
- Friday 31st October 2014
- Written by Simon Parker. In this debate, Simon Parker (NLGN), Catherine Staite (INLOGOV) and Tony Bovaird (INLOGOV) agree that the current state of UK local government is unsustainable – but see different routes to rescuing a sustainable future.
- Thursday 30th October 2014
- Written by Catherine Staite. Charm is shorthand for a sophisticated set of skills which enable you to make new connections and solve old problems. Charm is about much more than being nice in a superficial way – otherwise known as 'smarm'. If you don't have real charm then just be gruff and honest. Everyone will understand. Smarm, on the other hand, will simply breed distrust.
- Tuesday 28th October 2014
- Written by Chris Game. I've had the good fortune to spend the past week in Tokyo, as Japan commemorates the 50th anniversary of arguably the most geo-politically transformative Olympic Games, in the city that underwent a scarcely credible urban transformation in order to stage them.
- Monday 27th October 2014
Welcome to INLOGOV