The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management. We enrich the world of local public service with research evidence and innovative ideas, making a positive difference.
New Executive Programme: Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning (5 day course)
29, 30 September and 01 October 2014 and 27, 28 October 2014
Explore complex issues, question conventional thought and address challenges in Public Management, Administration, Public Service Commissioning and Local Policy and Politics.
MSc, PG Certificate, Diploma
Our research bridges the gap between the academic and the practitioner and has a major influence on academic and policy audiences. We produce a range of publications from our research.
Research and Publications
If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development.
Seminars and short courses
- Monday 29th September 2014
- 29, 30 September and 01 October 2014 and 27, 28 October 2014. This Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning focuses directly on the current challenge of coping with public service funding cuts at a time of rising service needs and expectations.
- Monday 6th - Wednesday 8th October 2014
- This three day programme works through the stages and techniques of the scrutiny process, and the ways in which it may be used both to hold executives to account and to develop policy. It may be used as an induction and training in the principles of good scrutiny for those who are new or relatively new to the topic (including an update on issues for scrutiny raised by new legislation and the Coalition's approach to local government). It will also assist those with experience of scrutiny to develop their skills and improve their practice.
- Roundtable with Professor Steven R. Smith, the American Political Science Association (APSA) Executive Director and a leading scholar on the non-profit sector, 29 July 2014, Chaired by Professor Chris Skelcher, INLOGOV, University of Birmingham.
- Friday 1st August 2014
- This summer symposium brought together distinguished UK and international academics and leaders in the field of local government to share new ideas, creativity, evidence and experience on some of the major challenges for local government.
- Thursday 31st July 2014
- Written by Jörgen Tholstrup. What's the mission of health care? I've been working as a physician and gastroenterologist both in Denmark and Sweden for more than 30 years. Over time, I've become more and more puzzled about our healthcare system and how otherwise responsible human beings can tolerate the way that common behaviourial rules are suspended when you access healthcare.
- Monday 21st July 2014
- Written by Chris Naylor. Two weeks ago I gave the lunchtime pep talk to a dozen young hopeful students each vying for a coveted place on Barnet's graduate programme. Furiously clever, ambitious for Barnet and public services more generally – I didn't envy those with the task of making a final selection. Like the alumni who have come through the Council's programme before them, many of whom a decade on, as senior managers, continue to make a profound contribution to the success of the borough, the Class of '14 will truly be the 21st Century Public Servants.
- Tuesday 15th July 2014
Welcome to INLOGOV