The Institute of Local Government Studies (INLOGOV) is the leading academic centre for research and teaching on local governance and strategic public management. We enrich the world of local public service with research evidence and innovative ideas, making a positive difference.
Certificate in Overview and Scrutiny (3 day course)
06 - 08 October 2014
Certificate in Scrutiny Methods and Investigations (3 day course)
19 - 21 November 2014
New Executive Programme: Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning (5 day course)
03, 04 and 05 March and 28, 29 April 2015
Explore complex issues, question conventional thought and address challenges in Public Management, Administration, Public Service Commissioning and Local Policy and Politics.
MSc, PG Certificate, Diploma
Our research bridges the gap between the academic and the practitioner and has a major influence on academic and policy audiences. We produce a range of publications from our research.
Research and Publications
If you are an employer looking for a course for your employees, or an individual investing in your own personal development, we offer a diverse range of courses and pathways of study and development.
Seminars and short courses
- Monday 29th September 2014
- 29, 30 September and 01 October 2014 and 27, 28 October 2014. This Executive Programme in Strategic Commissioning focuses directly on the current challenge of coping with public service funding cuts at a time of rising service needs and expectations.
- Monday 6th - Wednesday 8th October 2014
- This three day programme works through the stages and techniques of the scrutiny process, and the ways in which it may be used both to hold executives to account and to develop policy. It may be used as an induction and training in the principles of good scrutiny for those who are new or relatively new to the topic (including an update on issues for scrutiny raised by new legislation and the Coalition's approach to local government). It will also assist those with experience of scrutiny to develop their skills and improve their practice.
- The postgraduate open day gives you the opportunity to talk to our experts and find out more about the wide portfolio of taught and research opportunities available to you at the University of Birmingham. Whatever stage you are at with your career, a visit to the open day will clarify your options and help you plan your next step.
- Tuesday 23rd September 2014
- Written by Chris Game. I really thought we might make it. We'd got past the publication of YouGov's potentially constitution-changing poll showing a minuscule lead for the Yes campaign without anyone grabbing for an easy headline by calling for opinion polls to be banned in the run-up to elections and referendums.
- Thursday 18th September 2014
- Written by Chris Game. It seems Scottish voters are warming to the whole independence idea, then – bucking the trend that the experts have been telling us for months they're almost bound to follow.
- Monday 15th September 2014
- The staff at the School of Government and Society look forward to meeting all new students for the start of the 2014/15 academic year. All the information you'll need for starting at the University of Birmingham can be found on our Welcome homepage.
- Friday 12th September 2014
Welcome to INLOGOV