Welcome to the Department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS), one of the largest and most academically vibrant departments of Political Science and International Studies in the UK. POLSIS is the proud home of Sociology, the Institute for German Studies and the Centre for Russian, European and Eurasian Studies.
In the latest Guardian University Guide 2015 Birmingham ranked 17th out of 114 institutions surveyed. The School of Government and Society performed well with Politics placing 5th out of 72 and Sociology placing 11th out of 89 institutions in their respective fields.
Choose to study in POLSIS and take the opportunity to examine some of the most important political issues, both at a national and international level, that we, as citizens, face in the 21st century.
Undergraduate degree programmes
The Department of Political Science and International Studies offers the broadest range of MA programmes of any department in the UK, all delivered by internationally-recognised staff.
Masters degree programmes
We welcome applications for Research degrees in a variety of subject areas. We offer PhD and MPhil study with the support of dedicated supervisors who are experts in their field.
Doctoral research degrees
Staff in the spotlight
Highlighted News and Events
- Leading International Relations (IR) scholar, Robert Keohane (Princeton), visited Birmingham last week (29 October 2014) and delivered a lecture as part of the POLSIS Seminar Series.
- Friday 7th November 2014
- Sixteen doctoral students gained a PhD in the past year in POLSIS.
- Monday 3rd November 2014
- A joint POLSIS/ICCS distinguished lecture given by one of the world's leading experts on international relations. Chair: Dr Tim Haughton (POLSIS/CREES), Speaker: Robert O. Keohane (Princeton University), Discussant: Professor Nicholas Wheeler (ICCS, University of Birmingham).
- Thursday 30th October 2014
- New Members of Staff in POLSIS Strengthen Coverage of European politics, international political economy and international relations.
- Monday 20th October 2014
Read more news and events from across the department.