Welcome to the Department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS), one of the largest and most academically vibrant departments of Political Science and International Studies in the UK. POLSIS is the proud home of Sociology, the Institute for German Studies and the Centre for Russian, European and Eurasian Studies.
In the latest Guardian University Guide 2015 Birmingham ranked 17th out of 114 institutions surveyed. The School of Government and Society performed well with Politics placing 5th out of 72 and Sociology placing 11th out of 89 institutions in their respective fields.
In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 Politics and International Studies at Birmingham was ranked the 6thbest in the power rankings highlighting the large number of staff in POLSIS producing world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Choose to study in POLSIS and take the opportunity to examine some of the most important political issues, both at a national and international level, that we, as citizens, face in the 21st century.
Undergraduate degree programmes
The Department of Political Science and International Studies offers the broadest range of MA programmes of any department in the UK, all delivered by internationally-recognised staff.
Masters degree programmes
We welcome applications for Research degrees in a variety of subject areas. We offer PhD and MPhil study with the support of dedicated supervisors who are experts in their field.
Doctoral research degrees
Staff in the spotlight
Highlighted News and Events
- Written by Dr Huw Macartney. Given the scandals, bonus increases and plummeting lending to small and medium-sized British businesses, reform of the banking system is likely to be a hot topic in the run-up to the general election. It is not surprising then that Labour has launched its plan on banking reform, which proposes measures to improve competition within the banking sector, lending to smaller businesses, and the culture of banking itself.
- Tuesday 17th February 2015
- A Special POLSIS Departmental Seminar Showcases the expertise of two new members of staff.
- Friday 13th February 2015
- The Department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS) Departmental Seminar. Speakers: George Kyris and Sotirios Zartaloudis (POLSIS)
- Thursday 5th February 2015
- The Department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS) Departmental Seminar. Speaker: Adrian Hyde-Price (Gothenburg), Discussant: Derek Averre (POLSIS/CREES).
- Friday 30th January 2015
Read more news and events from across the department.