Welcome to the Department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS), one of the largest and most academically vibrant departments of Political Science and International Studies in the UK. POLSIS is the proud home of Sociology, the Institute for German Studies and the Centre for Russian, European and Eurasian Studies.
In the latest Guardian University Guide 2015 Birmingham ranked 17th out of 114 institutions surveyed. The School of Government and Society performed well with Politics placing 5th out of 72 and Sociology placing 11th out of 89 institutions in their respective fields.
Choose to study in POLSIS and take the opportunity to examine some of the most important political issues, both at a national and international level, that we, as citizens, face in the 21st century.
Undergraduate degree programmes
The Department of Political Science and International Studies offers the broadest range of MA programmes of any department in the UK, all delivered by internationally-recognised staff.
Masters degree programmes
We welcome applications for Research degrees in a variety of subject areas. We offer PhD and MPhil study with the support of dedicated supervisors who are experts in their field.
Doctoral research degrees
Staff in the spotlight
Highlighted News and Events
- New Members of Staff in POLSIS Strengthen Coverage of European politics, international political economy and international relations.
- Monday 20th October 2014
- For the Academic year 2014-15, POLSIS is pleased to offer a range of full and partial bursaries for both domestic/EU and non-EU students.
- Wednesday 15th October 2014
- ICCS hosts a number of seminars throughout the year which focuses on a number of different topics. Listen to the latest podcasts from our recent events.
- Tuesday 14th October 2014
- From counter-terrorism operations in Afghanistan, to Amazon delivery services, the use (and ownership) of drone technology has major implications for domestic and international security. But what are the legal and ethical implications of this technology, and can drones ever be fully autonomous? Join leading experts for a topical and timely debate on the civilian and military use of drones.
- Thursday 11th September 2014
Read more news and events from across the department.