History of Art at Birmingham comprises the study of the history and meaning of artworks and other visual and material artefacts, of their use as forms of cultural expression in various societies, and of the ways they have been interpreted and understood.
Specifically, the undergraduate course aims:
- To help develop a critical understanding and knowledge of the contexts in which art has been produced and viewed
- To enable students develop skills of visual analysis
- To provide students with a critical understanding and knowledge of the techniques employed to produce artworks.
- To provide students with a sophisticated grasp of the concepts and methods used in the art historical interpretation of artworks.
- To provide students with skills, knowledge and experience that will support their future career aspirations