Claudio Monteverdi (b. 1567, baptised 15 May; d. 29 November 1643)
Scherzi musicali: Cioè Arie, et Madrigali in stil recitativo, con una Ciaccona a 1 et 2 voci (Venice 1632), ed. Andrea Bornstein
Claudio Monteverdi was born in Cremona, where he studied under Marc’Antonio Ingegneri, choirmaster of Cremona cathedral. He served at the Gonzaga court at Mantua from early1590 until 1612, and then as choirmaster of S Marco, Venice, from 1613 until his death in 1643.
Contents / Indice / Inhalt
- The complete edition, with introduction, translations into English and German, notes and critical commentary (1.4Mb)
- Introduction, translations, critical commentary
- 1. Maledetto sia l’aspetto (S, bc)
- 2. Quel sguardo sdegnosetto (S, bc)
- 3. Eri già tutta mia (S, bc)
- 4. Ecco di dolci raggi il Sol armato (T, bc)
- 5. Ed è pur dunque vero (S, bc, ‘con Simfonie’)
- 6. Zefiro torna e di soavi accenti (T, T, bc, ‘Ciaccona’)
- 7. Armato il cor d’adamantina fede (T, T, bc)
Sound Files (prepared by Andrea Bornstein): follow links for individual works
The edition and translations are copyright ©2007 the editor, translators, The University of Birmingham and The University of Heidelberg. They may be freely downloaded for study or performance (including commercial recordings) provided that the edition and translations are properly acknowledged. Further distribution or reproduction in any format is prohibited without the permission of the copyright holder(s).