Year abroad - German Studies

One of the most exciting elements of any degree in Modern Languages is the opportunity to spend your third year abroad, perfecting your language skills, developing a thorough appreciation of another culture and acquiring all manner of transferable skills.

As a student of German, you will spend time in a German-speaking country - typically Germany or Austria. You will spend your time studying at a university, working at a school as an English Language Assistant or undertaking a work placement. The options for your Year Abroad in German are the same regardless of whether you entered the University with A-level German or not.

If you are studying another language alongside German, you will normally split your Year Abroad between Germany / Austria and a country where your additional language is spoken.

Studying at a University

Studying at one of our partner institutions in a country where your target language is widely spoken is the most popular choice for the Year Abroad. Students staying within the European Union will be eligible to take part in the Erasmus scheme. This means that you will be eligible for a bursary and additional tutorial support.

We have many partner institutions (each with between 2 and 5 places) including:

Interactive map

These are the German universities with which the department has developed links:

View Universities in Germanyin a larger map

Teaching English

Some students prefer to spend their Year Abroad as a teaching assistant in a school. This is a salaried placement of between six and nine months at a school in a German-speaking country. This scheme is administered by the British Council.

Work Placements

Another option is to spend your Year Abroad completing a work placement. Many students use this year to gain valuable experience in an industry that they hope to enter after graduation. You will need to be accepted by a company or institution and have your place approved by the Year Abroad Tutor. Examples of recent placements by students studying German include a football magazine based in Munich and a European-wide fashion brand based in Dusseldorf.