- Normally be 18 years or older by 30th September of the year you intend starting.
- Have an email address and internet access
- Be maintaining a handicap of 4 or better (6 for ladies). You should submit with your application form a current 12 Month Handicap Record along with a current Congu Certificate signed by the Club Handicap Secretary and County Secretary if you are playing off “Scratch”, verifying this. Both must come in together.
- Have four GCSE passes at Grades A to C including Maths and English Language.
English equivalents or higher accepted are:
- Adult Numeracy Level 2 will count for Maths and Functional Skills Level 2 in Application of Number.
- Adult Literacy Level 2 and Communication Functional Skills Level 2. *In addition to this you will be required to take a written assessment in English at the ARP in the summer. Candidates who complete this successfully will be accepted onto the Foundation Degree. Details of this exam follows.
- Level 3 in Communication and/or Literacy will be accepted without having to take The P.G.A written assessment.
- Passes at 'A' level (grades A-D) or higher will naturally be accepted.
- *BTEC First Diploma and above along with GCSE Maths & English at grades A-C. We will accept Adult Numeracy and Literacy Level 2. Functional Skills in Application of Number & Communication Level 2 will also be accepted.
- *14-16 Diploma Higher Award we will accept with GCSE English or Level 2 Adult Literacy. Functional Skills in Application of Number & Communication Level 2 will also be accepted.
- *Welsh Baccalaureate Intermediate Diploma we will accept with GCSE English or Level 2 Adult Literacy. Functional Skills in Application of Number & Communication Level 2 will also be accepted.
- *Applicants who have Level 2 Adult Literacy or English Functional Skills Level 2 will have to take and pass a PGA English Entrance Exam to start the course.
Scottish equivalents or higher accepted are:
- Four Standard Grade passes (grades 1-3) or Intermediate 2 (grades A-C). Maths and English Language must be included.
- Scottish Higher Certificate (grades A-C).
- Passes at a higher grade will naturally be accepted.
Irish equivalents or higher accepted are:
- Leaving certificate obtaining a minimum grade at Ordinary Level of D1 in both English and Maths plus a minimum grade at Ordinary Level of D1 in 2 other subjects.
- Passes at higher and honours level will naturally be accepted.
- Junior Certificate passes at either Ordinary or higher level is not accepted.
Please note that the Applied or Vocational Certificate along with the Intermediate Certificate is NOT accepted.
Applicants from outside the UK must have their country's equivalent. A suitable level of written and spoken English must be demonstrated.
Entry criteria for this Foundation Degree are also detailed on the Professional Golfers' Association website at www.pga.info/media/119948/15entrycriteria.pdf
PGA Entrance Exam
The PGA English Entrance Test has been set up to cater for those applicants who do not possess GCSE English Grade C but do have Adult Literacy or Functional Skills in Communication Level 2. For these individuals the entrance test is mandatory.
The English Test has been designed to test:
- Spelling, grammar & punctuation
- The ability to write an essay
It is golf related and takes 1 hour to complete under examination conditions on the Admission Review Programme.
A pass mark of 50% has been set & applicants will receive feedback on each aspect of the test where they may be weak, so that they can gain extra tuition to help them.
It should be understood that Foundation Degree Level work is the same as the first 2 years of an honours degree, so there is a need for candidates to posses a good level of English writing ability.
Standard English language requirements apply.
Depending on your chosen course of study, you may also be interested in one of our foundation pathways, which offer specially structured programmes for international students whose qualifications are not accepted for direct entry to UK universities. Further details can be found on Birmingham International Academy web pages.