To apply for government student loans and grants, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a protected person.
- be a permanent resident of a province or territory that issues government student loans and grants.
- demonstrate financial need.
- be enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate program that runs for at least 12 weeks in a 15-week period and is offered by a designated post-secondary institution.
- be taking at least 60 percent of a full course load if you are a full-time student, or between 20 and 59 percent of a full course load if you are a part-time student.
- pass a credit check if you are 22 or older and are applying for student loans and grants for the first time.
- not have exhausted your maximum lifetime limit of financial assistance, including interest-free status.
Full eligibility criteria can be found here.