Canada Student Loans

Canada Loans Image_edited-1

The Government of Canada offers Student Loans to full and part-time students who demonstrate financial need in most provinces and territories across Canada. 

In Canada, there are 2 main categories of government student loan programs:

  • Canada Student Loans Program (for full-time and part-time students, also known as the Federal Program)
  • Provincial and territorial programs

Please note: Any paperwork in relation to either federal or provincial/territorial loans can only be completed by the Funding, Graduation & Awards team at the University of Birmingham. Please email your PDF documents to us at

Am I eligible for a loan?

To apply for government student loans and grants, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a protected person.
  • be a permanent resident of a province or territory that issues government student loans and grants.
  • demonstrate financial need.
  • be enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate program that runs for at least 12 weeks in a 15-week period and is offered by a designated post-secondary institution.
  • be taking at least 60 percent of a full course load if you are a full-time student, or between 20 and 59 percent of a full course load if you are a part-time student.
  • pass a credit check if you are 22 or older and are applying for student loans and grants for the first time.
  • not have exhausted your maximum lifetime limit of financial assistance, including interest-free status.

Full eligibility criteria can be found here.

How do I apply?

In 5 provinces (OntarioSaskatchewanNewfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick and British Columbia) provincial-federal loans programs are integrated, therefore you only need to apply to one place (your province of residence). 

For all remaining provinces and territories (with the exception of Yukon), applications are made to one central department but receive and manage two separate loans. 

Find the correct application depending on your residence

Things to note:

  • When applying for a Student Loan, you will automatically be assessed for most Canadian student grants.
  • You have to submit an application for loans and grants for every year of study. 

How will I be paid?

All approved funds will be electronically deposited into the borrower’s bank account once the Student Services Branch has received:

  • confirmation that the student has returned the master student loan agreement to their provincial or territorial Student Assistance Office.
  • confirmation of enrolment from the University, which should be sent to Funding, Graduation & Awards for completion before returning to the correct Student Services Branch.

Canadian tax credits

Students who file a Canadian tax return may claim reduced tax on their education expenses.