The University's new building dedicated to postgraduate teaching, the Alan Walters Building, formally opened on Wednesday 7 December.
The Alan Walters Building, named after Sir Alan Walters, esteemed economist and former Professor of Econometrics and Statistics at the University from 1951 to 1968, following a significant gift from alumna Lady Walters in memory of her husband, is a signature facility for Birmingham Business School.
The Alan Walters Building contains several distinctive features for students undertaking postgraduate programmes at the Business School, including the campus’ first Harvard-style lecture theatre, dedicated learning spaces, and communal areas for studying and group work.
The event commenced with a welcome by the Dean of the Business School, Professor Glyn Watson, before handing over to Lady Walters and alumnus Professor Stephen Littlechild (Fellow at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, and Emeritus Professor in Commerce at the University of Birmingham) to share their memories and personal stories of Sir Alan. The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sir David Eastwood, then thanked Lady Walters for her extraordinary generosity in being able to honour Sir Alan. Following the Vice-Chancellor, Lord Burns GCB, former Chair of Santander UK plc, gave the inaugural annual Alan Walters lecture entitled “Comparing the economic challenges of today with those of the 1980s”.
The event concluded with the formal unveiling of plaques celebrating Sir Alan Walters’ life and career, performed by Professor Sir David Eastwood, and members of Sir Alan’s family.
Prior to the lecture, attendees were treated to virtual 360 tours of the entire facility.
If you would like to view photos from the event, please visit our Flickr site.
An electronic version of the programme commemorating the official opening can be downloaded here.