Graduation documents

All students graduating from the University of Birmingham receive a degree certificate and academic transcript. Whether graduating in person, or in your absence, the following page answers the most common questions asked by our graduates.

Does everyone receive a degree certificate and transcript?

Yes, all students graduating from the University of Birmingham with a Degree of the University listed under Ordinance 4.1.1  will receive their degree certificate and academic transcript following the conferral of their degree at a Degree Congregation. In the event that on-campus Degree Congregations cannot take place the degree will instead be conferred in absentia by Special Warrant and you will be issued with your degree certificate and transcript by post.

Students awarded with a Diploma or Certificate of the University listed under Ordinance 4.2.1 do not attend a Degree Congregation but will be posted their certificate and transcript by our Registry team.

How will you send my degree certificate and transcript?

Students who attend a Degree Congregation in the Great Hall will be able to collect their certificate and transcripts on campus on their graduation day. Students who are due to graduate in absentia (have not booked to attend their ceremony) are sent an email in the run up to their Degree Congregation asking them to confirm their delivery address. For December ceremonies this email is sent in late November. For July ceremonies it is sent in early July. 

The email includes a link to a personalised form, which you need to complete by the deadline given in the email in order to be included in the first postal run of documents. Please note that no documents will be posted until this form has been completed and that it is the only means by which we can accept your address data. So please complete the form, even if you have already updated your address in the Student Gateway or emailed us about it.  

For our December 2021 graduating students:
We are sending the links to your personalised form out at the end of Noevember 2021. If you have not received the email containing your personalised link by Wednesday 1 December, please contact us at so that we can get it resent to you. Please do not email us before that date as not all links will have been sent. The email is sent to all of the email addresses that we hold for you (student and personal). Please check your junk folder before contacting us as often the email has been redirected there. It is really important that you do not share your personalised link with anyone else, nor can you ask someone else to complete the form on your behalf as it contains information that is unique to you. The deadline to complete the form will be 23:59 (GMT) on Sunday 12 December 2021.  

When asked to confirm the delivery address for your degree certificate and transcript you will be given the following postage options:

  1. Free standard delivery (dispatched via Royal Mail 2nd Class within the UK, or standard airmail outside the UK).
  2. DHL delivery (secure tracked delivery via courier at a cost of £20 payable by the graduate).

If you choose DHL delivery for your documents then you will receive an email from DHL providing your tracking number once the documents have been dispatched by the University.  Unfortunately it is not possible to track standard delivery.

Can I change the delivery address for my documents?

You can change the delivery address for your documents until the submission deadline by resubmitting your personalised form. It is not possible to change the delivery address once the submission deadline has passed as your documents will have already been released to the Distribution team for processing. Please provide a delivery address at which you will still be able to receive post through to the end of February (if you graduate in December) or the end of September (if you graduate in July). 

If you miss the original deadline you can still submit your address using the online form up until we open the lost certificate process (please see below), but there will be a delay in our being able to send the documents to you. You will only be able to submit the late form once, so please ensure that the information you provide on the form is correct as we are unable to amend your postal address after the form has been submitted. If you make a mistake when entering your address, the next opportunity to provide us with a postal address for your documents will be when we open the lost certificates form as outlined below.  

When will I receive my documents?

How long it takes for your documents to arrive will depend on whether you provided us with your address before the deadline and the state of the postal system. Deliveries following our December graduations can take much longer to arrive thanks to the disruptions caused by Christmas. The ongoing pandemic is also causing issues, particularly for international post. 

As a general rule, if you graduate in July and confirm your delivery address with us by the deadline given in your personalised email then you should expect to receive your documents by the end of September at the latest. If you graduate in December and complete the delivery address form on time then you should receive your documents by the end of February at the latest. Please do not chase us for an update on your documents before the lost certificate process opens as this merely causes further delays for the processing team.  

Lost certificates: I haven't received my documents, what should I do?

If you have provided a delivery address but have not yet received your documents then we ask that you allow enough time for delivery before you report your documents as lost. July graduates will be able to report their documents as lost from 1 October until 31 October. December graduates will be able to report their documents as lost from 1 March until 31 March. Once the form has opened you will be able to report your documents as lost online. 

Can I access a copy of my documents online?

You can view, download and share an electronic copy of your degree certificate and transcript online via our Secure Documents website three working days after your Degree Congregation has taken place. Current and potential employers can also register with us, allowing them to directly verify your qualifications with us while you wait for the physical copies of your documents to arrive.

I haven't graduated yet, can I get my documents early?

No, this is not possible as your degree will not have been awarded yet.  We can only issue your degree certificate and transcript once your degree has been conferred, either at one of our on-campus Degree Congregations (normally held in December and July) or by Special Warrant when we are unable to hold on-campus events (as was the case during the UK lockdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic). In order for your documents to be posted you will also need to have provided a delivery address for them, as explained above. 

Can I collect my documents in person?

Students who attend a Degree Congregation in the Great Hall will be able to collect their certificate and transcripts on campus on their graduation day. We are not able to offer a collection service for students graduating in absentia at this time.

Can I order additional copies of my degree certificate and transcript? 

For information about ordering replacement certificates please visit the replacement certificates page.