How to apply

The apply to study here link takes you to application portal. Please read the information below before making your application.

Entry requirements

UK citizens applying for entry into the School of Chemistry as a postgraduate student (PhD or MSc by Research) should possess, or should expect to obtain, a First Class or Upper Second Class Honours degree in Chemistry or in another subject appropriate to the proposed field of study. Candidates applying from outside the UK should look at the the entry requirements for their country.


There are several routes for obtaining funding for study towards a higher degree.

Postgraduate studentships in the school may be sponsored from any of a variety of sources including the Research Councils, industry as well as scholarships provided by the School. PhD scholarships cover University tuition fees and 36 months' maintenance and are available to UK students.  

Students with scholarships of their own are also welcome in the School but should ensure that their sponsors make allowance for the payment of University tuition fees as well as bench fees (running costs) in the scholarship award.

Details of these can be obtained from the Postgraduate Admissions Tutor.  For more information on University tuition fees, visit the Postgraduate fees and funding page.

The school also offers a number of scholarships and bursaries for international postgraduate students.


The School of Chemistry at Birmingham offers the research degrees of MSc by Chemical Research and PhD. The minimum period of registration is one year for the degree of MSc and 2 years for the degree of PhD. Normally, however, the PhD degree is obtained after three years of research.

Further information

For more information on the application procedure, please contact the Postgraduate Admissions Tutor, Dr John Wilkie, or the Postgraduate Admissions secretary. For further information on particular projects, please contact a member of staff directly - see School of Chemistry staff.

The Postgraduate Prospectus is available online.