Dirk has openings for self-funded PhD students from biology, chemistry and physics in a variety of different areas related to single-molecule spectroscopy, quantitative microscopy, and fluorescent probes in the biomedical context:
- Optimization and automation of optical microscopes for quantitative and super-resolution microscopy
- Development of data analysis and evaluation procedures (also using machine learning)
- Quantitative microscopy involving the development of fluorescent standards, quantification and labelling protocols
- Fluorescent probes for single-molecule based super-resolution and multiplexing
- Quantitative single-molecule studies of T-cell signaling in the context of inflammation and HIV-infection
Currently, Dirk has an opening for a funded PhD project in the area of data analysis procedures for quantitative single-molecule studies involving machine learning. Students with good skills in mathematics and programming interested in more theoretical work in optical microscopy are invited to read more about this project at findaphd.
Professor Herten directly.