Essential checklist

Make sure you know the essential administrative tasks that you need to complete before beginning your studies. Complete these as soon as you can, so that you can enjoy preparing for University.

1. Complete Online Registration

All new and returning students must complete Online Registration each academic year. You will have received an email to complete Online Registration, which will provide you with your student username and password.

Online Registration

2. Complete My Right to Study

International students who require a visa or immigration permissions to study in the UK will need to provide copies of important documents to prove that they have the right to study in the UK. You can use My Right to Study to provide these documents online before you arrive.

Students from the UK and EU will be asked to provide copies of documents such as your passport as part of Online Registration.

My Right to Study

3. Download the MyUoB app

MyUoB is a new mobile app providing easy access to timetables, emails, module information and more – wherever and whenever you need them.

The app brings together key services and resources, and allows you to move your favourite features to create an app display that is personalised to you. MyUoB is available as a free download for iOS and Android devices. 

Find out more about MyUoB

4. Check your student email

Your student email will be the main way that the University contacts you. Make sure you know how to check it, and do so regularly. You will be able to access your email via the MyUoB app, and can set it up with your existing email app on your phone or other devices.

Find out about IT for new students

5. Know where you will get your student ID card

If you are a student based in the UK, your ID card may be posted to you at your home address. If not, you will be able to collect your ID card on campus.

ID cards

6. Download a proof of study letter

If you need a letter to prove you are a student, you can donwload these once you have completed Online Registration. You may need one to open a student bank account, or apply for a council tax exemption.

Proof of study letters

7. Register with a doctor

You should be registered with a local GP (General Practitioner – doctor) so that you can access health care if you need it and local to your term-time address. Your GP will also be able to help you access Covid-19 vaccinations, and other medical services.

Register with a GP

8. Ensure you get disability support

Tell us if you have a disability or long-term health condition, physical or sensory impairment, a mental health difficulty, autism, Asperger’s syndrome and specific learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia as soon as possible. We can offer you appropriate advice and support during your studies.

Tell us about a disability