Mature students

If you are over 21 when starting an undergraduate programme, or over 25 for a postgraduate programme, you are usually considered a 'mature student'.

It might feel strange to be called a 'mature student', but it doesn't mean we expect you to know everything! Starting university is a big deal whatever age you are.

As a mature student, you are likely to have come via a slightly different route than non-mature students. You might have returned to study after working, decided on a career change, or have just reached a point where you feel like it's the right time for you. Whatever your background, your experiences are valuable and can help you with your studies.

Arrivals Weekend

Whether or not you are moving into student accommodation, Arrivals Weekend is a busy and exciting time on campus. We encourage you to come along, enjoy the atmosphere, and explore events like our Welcome Fair and Wellbeing Marquee.

Arrivals Weekend is open to all, so feel free to bring along your family, partner, or some friends. Bring a picnic, or enjoy our food stalls, and start to explore your campus.

Student finance

You may be eligible for student finance, depending on whether you have studied at university before and what you will be studying. Find out more about university and funding for mature students.

UCAS also provide some information on student finance for mature students.

Returning to study

If you are returning to study after a break, it's normal to feel a bit nervous. We've pulled together some information on learning and studying to help you get a feel for what to expect, and the Academic Skills Centre provide some really helpful resources, including ones especially for students returning to education.

Commuting students

We know that there is a big overlap between mature students and our commuting student population. Find useful information for commuting students, including information on parking permits and travel.

16-25 Railcard - yes, really!

Did you know there is no age limit for a 16-25 railcard as a mature student? If you are a full-time student (15 hours or more for at least 20 weeks in the year), you can apply for a railcard, saving you a third off train travel. You'll need to complete the Mature Student Application Form and get it stamped at the Aston Webb Student Hub.

Find out more

There is also the 26-30 railcard for 26-30 year olds and the Senior Railcard for those over 60, all offering a third off train travel.