How to apply

Once you’ve chosen Birmingham as your Study Abroad destination you can apply online. If you’re an Erasmus or International Exchange Student, your home university will nominate you first before you can complete the application form.  

When applying, you will need to upload the following supporting documentation:

  • One academic reference;
  • A copy of an official transcript showing the courses taken and grades;
  • A copy of your passport/ID photo page;
  • Evidence of English Language (if applicable).

What happens next?

Once you have been made an offer of a place you will receive an offer letter.  All of the information that you require prior to your arrival at the University will be sent to you electronically or it will be available on-line.  You can also visit the Welcome pages on the University's website which contain useful information for students starting at Birmingham.

All students who have had an offer will be sent full details of the orientation events by email. It is important that you check your emails regularly, as some of our events will be tailored individually for you.

English language requirements

If you’re a non-native speaker of English or if your degree course at your home university is not taught entirely in English, we request that you demonstrate a suitable level of English proficiency with IELTS/TOEFL/PTE or alternative qualifications. In the online application form we request that you upload a copy of your certificate.

Applicants currently studying in a majority English speaking country will not be required to take an English language proficiency test for entry to the University of Birmingham.

English qualifications we accept

  • IELTS 6.5 with not less than 6.0 in any one component.
  • TOEFL iBT 88 overall with no less than 21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing.
  • A mark of 10 or more in English on the German Abitur.
  • A mark of 14 or more in English on the French Baccalauréat.
  • A level 2 or higher in the Certificat de Compétences en Langues de l'Enseignement Supérieur (CLES).
  • A mark of 10 or better in English in the Danish Studentereksamen.
  • A mark of 2 or more in English (written and oral) on the Austrian Matura/Reifeprüfung.
  • A mark of VG or better in English on the Swedish Fullständigt Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan/ Slutbetyg från Komvux/ Avgangsbetyg.
  • A mark of 5 or more in English on the Swiss Certificat de Maturité Federale / Maturitätszeugnis/ Attestato Di Maturità.
  • A mark of 5 or more in English on the Norwegian Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skole.
  • A mark of 8 or higher on the Dutch Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs (vwo).
  • A mark of 5 or more in English on the Finnish Ylioppilastutkinto/ Studentexamen.
  • A mark of 7.5/75% or more in English on the Belgian Getuigschrift Van Hoger Secundair Onderwijs/Certificat d'Enseignement Secondaire Superieur/ Abschlusszeugnis der Oberstufe des Sekundarunterrichts.
  • A mark of 5 or more on the International Baccalaureate English, Standard or Higher Level, First or Second Language.

A Pass from a University of Birmingham presessional English course. If students do not have the required level of English or would like to improve their English before the start of the academic year, they can take one of our pre-sessional English language courses. These are courses students must pay for, and they have to be taken here at Birmingham before commencing the year or term abroad studies.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept the following as proof of English proficiency:

  • A letter from your home university saying that your standard of English is good enough, without a certificate of proof.
  • University of Cambridge ESOL test results.
  • DAAD (German Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) results.
  • BULATS (The Business Language Testing Service) results.
  • Any other test results other than the acceptable ones listed in the above list.

English language courses

If you do not have the required level of English or would like to improve your English before the start of the academic year, you can take one of our pre-sessional English language courses.

These courses are run by our English for International Students Unit (EISU) and you can find out the details, costs, and application process for those courses online. You can apply for this once you have applied for Study Abroad.