Within the University, your data is shared with only those University staff who need access for the admissions process, to allocate accommodation and to discuss any support needs you may have.
Your personal data is shared with a range of external organisations as is necessary for the purposes set out above and as permitted or required by law, including the following:
- The providers of any external or collaborative learning and training placements or fieldwork opportunities (and we will explain to you how and when this will be shared when we collect the data from you);
- The employer for any Degree Apprenticeship programme
- Relevant Government Departments (for example, the Home Office or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office);
- Relevant executive agencies or non-departmental public bodies (for example, UK Visas and Immigration);
- An overseas representative formally recognised by the University through whom you have submitted your application or who is supporting your application. This may include an agent or prospective sponsor who has submitted an application on your behalf;
- Relevant Higher Education bodies (for example, the Office for Students, UK Research and Innovation, Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, the Office for Fair Access);
- Any relevant professional or statutory regulatory bodies (for example, General Medical Council); we will tell you in what circumstances we share information with these organisations;
- Occasionally and when necessary, the police and other law enforcement agencies, for the prevention or detection of crime;
- Occasionally and when necessary internal and external auditors or regulators; and
- Individuals, companies or organisations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the University (for example, the University Medical Officer, external Occupational Health services).
We ensure we have appropriate data sharing agreements in place before sharing your personal data with any other data controllers.
Your personal data is shared as is necessary, on a considered and confidential basis, with several external organisations which assist with the handling of enquiries and student applications and sending you information about studying here. These organisations act on our behalf in accordance with our instructions for the purposes outlined above and do not process your data for any purpose over and above what we have asked them to do. We make sure we have appropriate contracts in place with them. Sometimes your personal data is processed by these organisations outside the European Economic Area (for example, because they use a cloud-based system with servers based outside the EEA), and if so, appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal data.
There may be other occasions when we may have to send your personal data outside the European Economic Area (for example, to share information relating to your application with an Overseas representative acting on your behalf, or if you are applying to study at a campus overseas, for example, in Dubai). This is usually required as part of the steps necessary to enter into a contract with you or as part of your contractual obligations (or potential contractual obligations) with a third party, and again, we make sure that appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal data.
If your application to the University is successful, the information held in your core application record will form the basis of your core student record. Details of how we use student data can be found in the Student Privacy Notice on the University website.
We do not share your data with external organisations for marketing their products or services. We do not sell your personal data to third parties under any circumstances, or permit third parties to sell on the data we have shared with them.