The Global Banking and Finance MBA is designed for professionals who aspire to a career in global banking and finance. It will guide you through management and technical skills, and develop you into a broadly knowledgeable professional, capable of performing at the top of the international banking and finance industry.
Birmingham Business School is accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).
Quick links: Why study this course | Modules | Fees and Funding |Entry Requirements | How to apply
The Distinguished Leaders Series showcases the high profile business leaders MBA students at Birmingham can have access to.
This MBA programme has been specifically designed for graduates who aspire to develop careers in global banking and finance. The programme aims to improve management and technical skills by focusing on key areas such as international banking, banking and finance regulation and supervision, risk and asset and liability management, strategic management of financial institutions, financial markets, and private equity and venture capital finance.
Many of our graduates are working at senior positions in banks and financial institutions, and in the investment industry worldwide. The programme is delivered by University faculty and industry practitioners to cater to the current and future needs of global financial services industry. MBA (GBF) attracts highly qualified and experienced students from a variety of cultures and nationalities and is highly rated by students wanting to specialise in banking and finance.
The programme includes core modules and optional modules. Apart from the taught element of the programme, students have the opportunity to attend talks delivered by practising managers and senior executives from some of the world’s leading banks and finance houses. Students will have opportunities to interact, discuss their career-related issues and gain valuable insights into the working of these prestigious institutions.
Skills to further your career in banking and finance – develop a comprehensive understanding of technical and management skills to become a well-rounded manager in international banking and finance.
Access the latest research – as a researchled business school, we give our students access to the latest trends, data and knowledge within the global banking and finance industry.
A life-time of career coaching – from the moment you join us you will have a mentor and career coach available to guide you through your career in international banking and finance.
Accredited business school – We hold the prestigious ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), AMBA (Association of MBAs) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).
Please note: all modules are subject to change.
In addition, students must choose two further modules from the list below:
Students may choose two addition modules from the list below:
View more details on The Birmingham MBA Fees.
To learn more about fees and funding, please view the University's guide to tuition fees for postgraduates.
Scholarships and studentships
Scholarships may be available. International students can often gain funding through overseas research scholarships, Commonwealth scholarships or their home government.
For further information view the currently available MBA scholarships or contact the Business School directly.
A good Honours degree plus at least three years of postgraduation work experience in banking or finance at a supervisory level. Equivalent professional qualifications will also be considered.
Applicants who do not meet the requirements for direct entry to the one-year MBA (GBF) programme have the option of applying for the 24-month route. For those with appropriate quantitative skills, it is possible to enter the first year of the 21-month route in January (see MBA (full-time) for full details).
Learn more about entry requirements
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries – learn more about international entry requirements.
- 12-month MBA – IELTS 7.0 (with no less than 6.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 95 (with no less than 22 in any band); Pearson Academic Test of English 67 (in all four skills).
- 21-month route – IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.0 in any band); TOEFL IBT 88 (21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 59 (in all four skills).
- 24-month route – IELTS 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band); TOEFL IBT 82 (19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing); Pearson Academic Test of English 51 (in all four skills).
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for the programme you wish to apply for where you will create an account with the University application system and submit your application and supporting documents online. Further information regarding how to apply online can be found on the How to apply pages
This MBA programme has been specifically designed for graduates who aspire to develop careers in global banking and finance and aims to improve management and technical skills by focusing on key areas such as international banking, banking and finance regulation and supervision, risk and asset and liability management, strategic management of financial institutions, financial markets, private equity and venture capital finance.
- Core taught elements in functional business disciplines. As a research-led School, the latest thinking and techniques can be rapidly incorporated and teaching kept at the cutting edge
- Classes and seminars supplement lectures, where fuller analysis and discussion takes place and important business skills, such as analysis, argument and synthesis, can be developed
- Case studies are used as a means of relating theory to practical situations and students will often work in small groups with other students on assignments designed to develop problem solving and interpersonal skills
- A series of industrial seminars, given by outside speakers from industry and commerce, provides contemporary ‘real world’ perspectives on the business environment – recent visitors to the School have included Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England (and a former professor of the University of Birmingham) and Sir John Bond, Chairman of HSBC Holdings
- A residential weekend business simulation requires you to manage a ‘company’ team in competition with others, against tight deadlines and with a range of rapidly changing data to assimilate and act upon (Full-time only)
- A Teamwork Skills course at an outdoor pursuits centre in the Malvern Hills develops skills in leadership, team building and team working (Full-time only)
- Cross-Cultural Management skills are developed in a variety of workshops and Issues in Global Competitiveness are the focus of a specialist series of seminars
- Researching and writing a project develops skills in information gathering, analysis and report writing
- A supporting programme of consultant delivered career-development workshops allow you to reflect on the impact of what you have learnt on your future career development
An MBA alumni, who is now a Marketing Director at Thomson Local, discusses his time studying a Birmingham MBA.
From the very start of your MBA, you receive bespoke advice from our employment consultants. Through one-to-one coaching, our industry experienced they work with you to clarify your aspirations and support you in your future career, jointly developing a winning employment strategy to take you to the next level and to open doors to a range of potential employer.
Whilst on your MBA you will have the opportunity to engage with top international companies. Our MBA students have participated in a range of activities with employers including BP, GE, IBM, Accenture, Capgemini, Unilever, Deloitte and HSBC.
Group and individual activities to enhance your skills
Throughout the programme, you will have the opportunity to be involved in group and individual activities all aimed at helping you to develop the skills and techniques which lead to highly successful employment outcomes.
A few examples of these activities that you will undertake throughout your MBA programme include online profile building, Careers in Consultancy networking event, Distinguished leaders alumni seminar series, mock assessment centre, skills coaching, and video recorded interview practice.
Careers in Business
Careers in Business is a dedicated service for postgraduate Business School students. We’ll help you in all aspects of your career management, from planning your job-seeking strategies, applying for jobs, preparing for interviews and assessment centres and developing your essential employability skills. At the start of your programme you will receive an email from our team, giving details of how you can access Careers in Business Online. Please get in touch to find out how our Careers in Business team can support you.
Career development advice
Our consultants offer an individual advice service, which includes:
Career review and objective setting
Interview and selection advice
Working in the UK
International work enquiries
Employers aren’t just looking for great qualifications. They want to see high-quality personal skills too, such as team working, leadership, presentation and interpersonal skills. Our Skills Development Consultants offer individual appointments to help you shape and hone these qualities.
Keeping you up to date
Our Employer Liaison Team regularly undertakes initiatives to attract employment/ project opportunities into the Business School. You can find information about vacancies and other openings on Careers in Business Online and on Business School noticeboards, as well as through the
Careers and Employability Centre vacancy database
Careers events and workshops
This is your chance to find out about employment opportunities, develop your skills and network with industry professionals. Our range of career management, personal development and employer events are a great opportunity to discover what’s open to you upon graduation – just sign up to the events to take part.
Using the Careers and Employability Centre
Postgraduate students in the Business School are very welcome to use the services provided by the Careers and Employability Centre such as online vacancy listings, employer presentations and fairs and accessing online careers information. You can use the Careers in Business team for individual appointments, CV checking, mock interviews and other job search-related activities.